What is this wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this wire?

The liquid is oil, not sure why it is appearing there.

But the wire? What is it? Is it supposed to connect to something?
    GS1000G 1981

Maybe a better picture.

Is the thing sticking out of the engine the cam chain tensioner? Can I adjust it?
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

oil pressure sensor wire
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Looks like you have a leak on your cam chain tensioner.
        Nice rebuild guide here.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

yes it should be connected to the brass prong just below it. It is a switch [N.C] that turns off the oil light when the engine is running.
          1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Yep, oil presser sensor connector.
            Goes over that brass looking shaped thing protruding out of the white thing, the white thing being the sensor. The brass thing doesnt really look like a connection, but the connector is not a typical connector either. Connector stays horizontal.
            Sometimes the clutch cable can push it off.

Have you noticed that your oil pressure light is not comming on when turn on the key?

That sesnosr is suppose to make the light come on when prese low by electrically connecting that wire to engine ground internal to the sensor... which of course it cant do if the wire is not connected to the sensor.

And I too would suspect the oil is from the cam chain tensioner right above there. THere are 3 seals/orings in there. Two of which can really slobber a lot of oil over time.
            bwringer site has a good tutorial on replacing the seals, and setting up the tensioner.
            Ther really isnt any "adjusting" the tensioner, but it does need to be setup properly when installed.
            Reading the instructions made more sence to me after I bought a bad looking tensioner on ebay for cheap, just to dissasemble it to get a better understanding.
            Last edited by Redman; 05-23-2020, 11:06 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Yep, oil presser sensor connector.
              Goes over that brass looking shaped thing protruding out of the white thing, the white thing being the sensor. The brass thing doesnt really look like a connection, but the connector is not a typical connector either. Connector stays horizontal.
              Sometimes the clutch cable can push it off.

Have you noticed that your oil pressure light is not comming on when turn on the key?

That sesnosr is suppose to make the light come on when prese low by electrically connecting that wire to engine ground internal to the sensor... which of course it cant do if the wire is not connected to the sensor.

And I too would suspect the oil is from the cam chain tensioner right above there. THere are 3 seals/orings in there. Two of which can really slobber a lot of oil over time.
              bwringer site has a good tutorial on replacing the seals, and setting up the tensioner.
              Ther really isnt any "adjusting" the tensioner, but it does need to be setup properly when installed.
              Reading the instructions made more sence to me after I bought a bad looking tensioner on ebay for cheap, just to dissasemble it to get a better understanding.
              I attached the wire and the oil light now works as expected. I have not noticed the oil light not lighting up (not sure if it ever has while I owned it).

My cam chain is clattering. It sounds like a loose chain on a chain driven bike, and it is especially clattery when I give it throttle. So Im wondering if the tensioner isn't tensioning.

I have put a litre and a half of oil into the bike in a fairly short time frame, so my oil is dissapearing. It seems to be leaking from one of the round covers on top of the engine, from the cam chain tensioner, from the other side of the engine about where the cam chain tensioner sits, and from the oil filter cover (I need new bolts for that). I assume these engines consume some oil too.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

For a few years a 79 gs1000e was my main source of transportation, I don't remember ever adding oil between changes, so in my opinion these bikes don't consume oil. I just think your machine needs a little TLC.
                1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                  I attached the wire and the oil light now works as expected. I have not noticed the oil light not lighting up (not sure if it ever has while I owned it).

My cam chain is clattering. It sounds like a loose chain on a chain driven bike, and it is especially clattery when I give it throttle. So Im wondering if the tensioner isn't tensioning.

I have put a litre and a half of oil into the bike in a fairly short time frame, so my oil is dissapearing. It seems to be leaking from one of the round covers on top of the engine, from the cam chain tensioner, from the other side of the engine about where the cam chain tensioner sits, and from the oil filter cover (I need new bolts for that). I assume these engines consume some oil too.
                  Good that you got the oil light circuit back in operation.
                  Yah, the light coming on when turn on the key is kinda like a test of the system. And seeing it go out when start engine is a good thing to notice. (and some People might say is also good to get a habit of checking the sidestand light also. FOr some reason SOME people suggest that more than others.)

See the tensioner set screw and lock nut..... loosen the lock nut and verify that the set screw is not turned in to where is set down tight, it should be backed out a bit and then the lock nut hold it from not turning further. If someone douesnt understand how it operates and thinks it is an manaul adjuster they may have turned the set screw in which makes it so it cant operate automatically. Also be aware that if the seal on that set screw is old and hard and isnt leaking now, it probably will after turning the screw. So be prepaired for it to start leaking more.
                  Other folks, in past, have dscribed how to better check if it is operating properly, but I dont recall.

THe amount of oil you describe having to add sounds like if that were leaks, you would have oil slopping on your pant leg, and oil dripping on the ground.
                  Have someone follow you and report on any smoke puiffing from pipes, see if they can determine if happens on acceleration or if is on deceleration, or both. Oh and you can check yourself on startup after sitting overnight or for a few days.
                  Last edited by Redman; 05-26-2020, 09:59 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

My bike has a side stand light? If it does I need to fix it, I have a managed to start riding with it down once or twice.

I think the main leak is from the oil filter, where it hits the exhaust and evaporates (?). But its also leaking from above the oil filter cap, but I suspect it leaks less there. The aftermarket exhaus is sort of dumbly placed.

It does not drip while parked. I have verified by parking it in the garage and inspecting the floor.

Havent noticed any oil on my pants.
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      ... and some People might say is also good to get a habit of checking the sidestand light also. FOr some reason SOME people suggest that more than others. ...
                      One reason that some people suggest it more than others is that their bike HAS a sidestand light. (more later)

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                      My bike has a side stand light? If it does I need to fix it, ...
                      No, your bike does not have one. They showed up in the 1982 models, so your '81 won't have one.

Another reason that "some" will mention that light is because "some" people have been known to not notice the light on "their" bike and dumped "their" bike in the process. Right, Dave?

This just goes to show that even if the light is there and working, it's not a guarantee.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I hate to even admit this. The other day, as I pulled out for my shake down ride after a month of disassembling, cleaning, painting, and reassembling my whole bike, I was so excited to actually be riding that what did I do? Of course, I took off with the side stand down. In that brief moment before nearly running through some stones in a flower bed, straight for a large tree, I'm hearing the side stand scrape the asphalt in the driveway, look down to see the glaring red light is very bright, I think of Dave, and managed to kick it up before impact with the tree and am able to swerve to miss it. My wife has it on video on her phone. I'm not gonna post it. Or maybe I should.

Yeah, the light is great, but you still have to embed it in your brain that you should not even pull the clutch in to shift to 1st until the stand is up and the light is off.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          I hate to even admit this. The other day, as I pulled out for my shake down ride after a month of disassembling, cleaning, painting, and reassembling my whole bike, I was so excited to actually be riding that what did I do? Of course, I took off with the side stand down. In that brief moment before nearly running through some stones in a flower bed, straight for a large tree, I'm hearing the side stand scrape the asphalt in the driveway, look down to see the glaring red light is very bright, I think of Dave, and managed to kick it up before impact with the tree and am able to swerve to miss it. My wife has it on video on her phone. I'm not gonna post it. Or maybe I should.

Yeah, the light is great, but you still have to embed it in your brain that you should not even pull the clutch in to shift to 1st until the stand is up and the light is off.
                          Honda once used a nice rubber tip that flipped the side-stand up providing you hadnt leaned over too far. Its time for a retrofit. Get a bigg rubber eraser and a stove bolt.
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            Honda once used a nice rubber tip that flipped the side-stand up providing you hadn't leaned over too far. Its time for a retrofit. Get a big rubber eraser and a stove bolt.
                            That would be great, I may do a little research on that. Or I could just remember to pull my head out of my a$$ before I engage my motorcycle.

And now I've completely derailed this thread. But I think the issue was solved anyway. Sorry Noreg.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                              That would be great, I may do a little research on that. Or I could just remember to pull my head out of my a$$ before I engage my motorcycle.

And now I've completely derailed this thread. But I think the issue was solved anyway. Sorry Noreg.
                              this thread will never be complete without that phone video!
                              c'mon now ... none of us will laugh, promise!
                              1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Working...
                              X