The Mule has been traded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mule has been traded!

Saw an ad with a guy wanting to trade his road worthy 83 Naked Goldwing for a smaller bike. After a bit of horse tradin' we struck up a deal and I just rode it 60 miles back home. I'm stoked, a new project and with a little time and effort, it'll be in top shape before too long. Scary tire date codes!

'goldwing.jpg
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

I thought it might be a hockey thread, but "The Mule" retired awhile ago...

Are those straight-up Dunlop Elite Tires? yowsers!

Looks like a decent ride. I'm a fan of naked 'wings.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

What in dog's name is stuck on the front disc?
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        What in dog's name is stuck on the front disc?
        bling
        stained bling
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

He even threw in a frying pan and an old tractor pipe. Sweet deal

Just poking fun - the early Goldie is one I really fancy having.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Cool. Don't go leavin' us though.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Gawd, ....frying pan.... LOL! Good Luck Larry.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

The GL1100 had several subtle changes for each of the four years it was produced. Your '83 was the last of the bunch and therefore the best of the 1100s.

You will have to take some time to get used to the "unified" braking system.
                Honda had been hearing that American riders were prone to only using the rear brake, so the foot pedal is actually connected to the rear caliper AND the left-front caliper. The hand lever only controls the right-front caliper. If you are used to using both brakes all the time, it won't be much of an adjustment, but I know many who mainly use the front brake, and the "unified" system only activates one of them.

Scary date codes, indeed. If you don't mind dropping some money into better tires, you can stick with the Dunlops and get the Elite 3, if they are still available or the Elite 4 that replaced them. GREAT tires for handling AND long life. You will easily get 20,000 miles out of them.

Don't forget to update your signature, your 450 is no longer your "current bike".

Also just noticed your location. Apparently you are on the move again.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Then Came Branson

Congratulations! A bit more passing power, eh? Not to mention load capacity.

Left the "Country Music Capital"?
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's so rare to see a Goldwing without a fairing or windshield. Trunk or saddlebags. Passenger arm rests. Highway bars, crash bars. Sound system or intercom. Internet or GPS. I approve.

Now get busy with your camera, please!
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      It's so rare to see a Goldwing without a fairing or windshield. Trunk or saddlebags. Passenger arm rests. Highway bars, crash bars. Sound system or intercom. Internet or GPS.
                      A little time, a little money, that can be fixed.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        It's so rare to see a Goldwing without a fairing or windshield. Trunk or saddlebags. Passenger arm rests. Highway bars, crash bars. Sound system or intercom. Internet or GPS. I approve.

Now get busy with your camera, please!
                        You left out the big screen TV.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Trailer hitch. Reverse gear.

Comment

I'm planning to put the rear bags back on sans rear crash bars and my plexifairing is already on it. Thats as far as I care to dress it back up. The PO has the racks and will be dropping them off later today.

Steve, as to the unified brakes, I'm familiar with that set up from my Venture. Pretty sure it's got Dot5 brake fluid in it now, they feel mushy but work well enough. Either way, a new set of stainless lines will be one of my first projects after the tires.

As to that caliper cover, it reflects like a mirror it's so shiny, you're seeing the gravel in that shot.

Not sure those handlebars are stock, either way I'm not a fan of the handle position.

Needs mufflers! Sounds like a mean a$$ cruiser but too loud for my tastes. A set of HD take offs should take care of that in short order.

As to moving, I ended up with a sweet spot to settle down here just outside of Athens, OH with a retired philosophy professor. She just bought a house last September and has a TON of yard work to do. Even have a shop of my very own to work out of! She planned to travel some this summer and still might, her cats need a sitter and the house is at the end of a dirt road, she doesn't want to leave it unattended.
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                              I'm planning to put the rear bags back on sans rear crash bars and my plexifairing is already on it. Thats as far as I care to dress it back up. The PO has the racks and will be dropping them off later today.

Steve, as to the unified brakes, I'm familiar with that set up from my Venture. Pretty sure it's got Dot5 brake fluid in it now, they feel mushy but work well enough. Either way, a new set of stainless lines will be one of my first projects after the tires.

As to that caliper cover, it reflects like a mirror it's so shiny, you're seeing the gravel in that shot.

Not sure those handlebars are stock, either way I'm not a fan of the handle position.

Needs mufflers! Sounds like a mean a$$ cruiser but too loud for my tastes. A set of HD take offs should take care of that in short order.

As to moving, I ended up with a sweet spot to settle down here just outside of Athens, OH with a retired philosophy professor. She just bought a house last September and has a TON of yard work to do. Even have a shop of my very own to work out of! She planned to travel some this summer and still might, her cats need a sitter and the house is at the end of a dirt road, she doesn't want to leave it unattended.
                              Living off a rich woman? Oh you scandalous man.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X