The Mule has been traded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Living off a rich woman? Oh you scandalous man.
    Not at all! This is a matter of convenience for both of us and I love resurrecting an overgrown yard as much as wrenching on bikes. She's less than five years older than my parents if that's what you where wondering...
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
      You left out the big screen TV.
      Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Trailer hitch. Reverse gear.
      Reverse did not happen until the 6-cylinder models in 1988.
      Later models also had the capuccino machines.

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      Steve, as to the unified brakes, I'm familiar with that set up from my Venture. Pretty sure it's got Dot5 brake fluid in it now, they feel mushy but work well enough.
      You had better hope it does NOT have DOT5 in it now. That system is not compatible with DOT5. If it does have DOT 5 in it now, you will have to basically replace or rebuild every component that has any rubber, including master cylinders, hoses and calipers.

Not sure if the original system was spec'ed for DOT3 or DOT4. Those are compatible, DOT4 just has a higher boiling point. DOT5.1 is also compatible, but DOT5 is not.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Reverse did not happen until the 6-cylinder models in 1988.
        Later models also had the capuccino machines.

You had better hope it does NOT have DOT5 in it now. That system is not compatible with DOT5. If it does have DOT 5 in it now, you will have to basically replace or rebuild every component that has any rubber, including master cylinders, hoses and calipers.

Not sure if the original system was spec'ed for DOT3 or DOT4. Those are compatible, DOT4 just has a higher boiling point. DOT5.1 is also compatible, but DOT5 is not.

That was the plan, in the mean time I'll at least flush it. There's a pickup and travel van here I can use and the hardware store is literally within easy walking distance. If I an get it in the same state as the Mule was (needing NOTHING) for $750 I'll be in the ballpark of what it's worth to me.

Comment

/////////////quote
          1983 Naked Aspencade GL1100
          ////////////EndQuote

Ah, so it was a dresser.

A friend of mine had an 1100 Aspencade. Suspension adjust compressor and all.
          I helped him take off the wheels (to take in for new tires) and wheel bearings fell out, and he learnt about that problem with that vintage of the comstar wheels. But I see you dont have those.

Now you get to deal with water cooling, and that big rubber timing belt.

I dont recall what year it was that the goldwings became Interstates with the full faring and luggage.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            /////////////quote
            1983 Naked Aspencade GL1100
            ////////////EndQuote

Ah, so it was a dresser.

A friend of mine had an 1100 Aspencade. Suspension adjust compressor and all.
            I helped him take off the wheels (to take in for new tires) and wheel bearings fell out, and he learnt about that problem with that vintage of the comstar wheels. But I see you dont have those.

Now you get to deal with water cooling, and that big rubber timing belt.

I dont recall what year it was that the goldwings became Interstates with the full faring and luggage.
            Haven't run the numbers yet to see if it's an Aspencade or Interstate. It's been repainted so that's not telling me much, that metal side cover is the key I'm guessing without running numbers.

Comment

. . . . . Aspencade or Interstate. .........
              I am not that well versed, but based on experience with my friends bike (a few years ago) the Aspencade had the on board compressor and accompanying push button panel, front/rear and increase/decrease.
              Steve might be able to point out other remaining tell-tales.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Haven't run the numbers yet to see if it's an Aspencade or Interstate. It's been repainted so that's not telling me much, that metal side cover is the key I'm guessing without running numbers.
                some opinionated people tell me the Interstate is the one to get. You likely have it judging by the dials and the ease that it was stripped of fairing and "stuff" . Apparently the Aspencade came with electronic doofunnies and the 80's were not a good era for them...

Comment

After running the vin number on the Goldwing and also doing some deciphering of the evidence, here's what I've come up with. Neither the grey nor the maroon is a stock 1983 color. It appears that it's probably a bit of a hodge podge of parts put together to make a motorcycle, just as the Second Harley I bought and turned into a bobber (For it's time) Looks like it may have caught on fire at some point, my guess is a hung float on a carb or perhaps some spillage igniting while refuelling.

The gas tank on a Goldwing is merely a cover, the actual tank is below the seat to keep the weight lower. The gas fill cap under a lid in the false tank allows you to fill it, here's no kind of guard or anything to keep some gas that dribbles out of the spigot from splashing down onto the hot engine. On most bikes, you can hold it at a 90 degree angle to keep this to a minimum, on the Goldwing it has to point straight down to get the gas where it needs to be.

So the vin says 1983 Honda GL1100I, meaning Interstate. The metal side covers on it now, near as i can tell, are off an Aspencade most likely from a different year. This pic is an approximation of what it looked like coming from the factory.

This is a 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate. Bike has 39k and is read to go across country. The bike handles great and with plenty of power. Bike has a few scratches here and there but better than

Turns out the spark plug caps are resistor type and both banks tested the complete opposite! The right side was dead on close enough to 5k ohm to not worry about, did the 1/4 inch clip and back on they went. The left side on the other had had NO continuity! Did find a site about taking an old resistor out and replacing it with a piece of 12 or 10 gauge wire then running resistor plugs. Mine don't want to seem to come apart so I'll see what the auto parts store has, something THAT simple makes it a lot more likely to not backfire, snort or buck, which sounds even more horrid with open pipes!

Comment

Well that took longer than it needed to! Two weeks ago I discovered both caliper bleeders where stuck and two extractor sizes did get them out, that was my last job on the list. Had to order a pair of front calipers, turned out the seals I ordered where not the proper size. Waited a week for that to clear up and as of yesterday it's on the road. Did some tweaking and tuning and with some glass packs in the straight pipes there's nothing else that sounds like it. Will probably put all the racks and luggage on it tomorrow just to try it out, it'll be amazing how much more I'll be able to carry and more importantly, keep dry

Comment

...it'll be amazing how much more I'll be able to carry and more importantly, keep dry
                      We're moving on up
                      To the east side
                      To a de-luxe apartment
                      In the sky, aye, aye

Mazel Tov
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Would like to hear that with the glass packs. Can you post a video? If it sounds anything like when my dad put a pair on his ‘76 Int. Scout Traveller, it’ll sound bada$$
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          Would like to hear that with the glass packs. Can you post a video? If it sounds anything like when my dad put a pair on his ‘76 Int. Scout Traveller, it’ll sound bada$$
                          Definitely a percussive rasp to it. I'm going to have to wait til morning to get the electric choke set right on it then I can properly tune it. Put a VW carb on a single carb intake, that four carb rig looks like a real nightmare to work on and I figured out it had carbs from at least two different years on it, one set has pressed in jets the other two removable. There's a definite advantage to simplifying as well, I can get a carb kit or air cleaner darn near anywhere, I'll get some audio posted when it's dialed in.

Comment

I'll get some audio posted when it's dialed in.
                            We'll need more pics. You know what they say: If we can't see pics, we may not agree with it.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It'll lose some power and responsiveness with a single carb, and those conversions can be a pain in the @ss, too.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                                It'll lose some power and responsiveness with a single carb, and those conversions can be a pain in the @ss, too.
                                After 27k miles on a 450 the last two plus years a loss of power doesn't phase me much. Knowing I don't need to downshift going up hills is plenty fine by me, I often forget I have another gear to shift up to going 60mph if I want it.

Comment

Working...
                                X