1976 xs650 non running $2400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1976 xs650 non running $2400

not mine, very clean in my opinion, for somebody who wont change the looks at all.

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Unless there is something about an XS650 that I am not aware of, that's not a $2400 bike.
    It's not in the best of condition. Better than most, but certainly not pristine.
    I would put the value closer to half the asking price.

Oh, yeah, it doesn't run. "Strong running", but also "ran great when parked over 12 years ago."
    Cut the price in half again. At most, that's a $500 bike.
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Would be a nice old bike to get going & knock around on & take to bike night, just to bring back old memories, most all old bikes look cool. That being said, there's nothing special, at all, about those old 650's, they're just old bikes. $2400? Noooooooo, not even. But would catch my attention if I saw it going down the rd. Did I say $2400? Nooooooooooooo, not even close. But I do appreciate the picture.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That's EXACTLY like the one I had. I never thought the paint was "macho" enough for me. So I proceeded to mess it up as a 21 year old would. It was a good bike and never gave me any issues.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
        Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I don't know which years are most valuable of that long-running classic (or modern version of a classic), but there was something special about Yam's 650 vertical twin. At least Cycle World thought so, and put it on their November 1972 cover.

Price is way out of whack.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If you consider how many were made there are better deals out there. Running examples even.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Is Cecil trying to flip that bike he got for free last week?
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

$2400 (US ) does seem steep to ME but all the ones I see do seem to be dear in any currency....they are very desirable to the "Mod" people so unmolested examples are getting hard to find. I found mine to be very faithful even with the very weak starter mine had(first year of electric start)..but the seat is very thin for a longer trip than an hour without a sheepskin among other things I would find to be faults compared to my '80s bikes I have now...A nostalgia project for someone but not me. I'd be more tempted by newer versions where they made a few improvements.

Comment

Yeah, that's a bike that has blossomed due to a hipster love for it. It's an "okay" bike but it's nothing special. $1500 at best-if it's yer cuppa.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

The draw on those is the availability of aftermarket parts. You can make those into a nice Triumph inspired hard tail chopper or cafe racer without breaking the bank doing it. This bike on the other hand may well be worth that kind of price in the right market although it would have to be at least in good running order with reasonably good tires and brakes. To me it's worth $600 the way it sits and probably not worth much more than $1500 in most places when up and running. As mentioned, it's about the market, hipsters love old twins, you gotta be able to market it where the hipsters are.

Comment

I bought mine at the bottom of the market, before they became cult objects.
                      £50.
                      Unlike previous old bikes, it's not cost much so far, but some engine work needs to be done (the usual cam chain front guide) and some improvements over the next year or two, which will probably cost the thick end of a thousand.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

It is not worth 2400, but has more value than you might think. They are achieving a certain collector status and if it runs halfway decent without a lot of knocking somebody will go 1500. And those wire wheels are all the rage among the bobber crowd, and by themselves are getting pricey. There are, I believe, as many as 40,000 members on at least one XS650 website.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                          It is not worth 2400, but has more value than you might think...40,000 members on at least one XS650 website.
                          They were quite the rage in the 1970's!
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

My first street bike was a 1975 650. Man to have that bike again.
                            Vibration of the twin split an Emco fairing, the highway bars and the front fender.
                            Other than that, it was a fun bike. Never cared for when the Classics came out. Hate when someone will take one of the standard 650 and chop it. Sure its their bike, but.....
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                              My first street bike was a 1975 650. Man to have that bike again.
                              Vibration of the twin split an Emco fairing, the highway bars and the front fender.
                              Other than that, it was a fun bike. Never cared for when the Classics came out. Hate when someone will take one of the standard 650 and chop it. Sure its their bike, but.....
                              It's a shame to cut up an original survivor for sure but with the 650 all the old basket cases and partially complete bikes are just about gone. Last year I ran into a guy with a 100% completely stock 650 in excellent condition that he's owned since new. He mentioned possibly selling it but doesn't want it to turn into someones Frankenstein project, guess I don't blame him! Felt that way about my 450, it wasn't pretty pretty but you just don't feel right about hacking up an honest survivor.

Comment

Working...
                              X