Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1976 xs650 non running $2400

I bought mine at the bottom of the market, before they became cult objects.
    Unlike previous old bikes, it's not cost much so far, but some engine work needs to be done (the usual cam chain front guide) and some improvements over the next year or two, which will probably cost the thick end of a thousand.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

It is not worth 2400, but has more value than you might think. They are achieving a certain collector status and if it runs halfway decent without a lot of knocking somebody will go 1500. And those wire wheels are all the rage among the bobber crowd, and by themselves are getting pricey. There are, I believe, as many as 40,000 members on at least one XS650 website.

Quote Originally Posted by wymple View Post
    It is not worth 2400, but has more value than you might think...40,000 members on at least one XS650 website.
    They were quite the rage in the 1970's!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

crag antler is offline Forum Guru Charter Member
    Past Site Supporter

My first street bike was a 1975 650. Man to have that bike again.
    Vibration of the twin split an Emco fairing, the highway bars and the front fender.
    Other than that, it was a fun bike. Never cared for when the Classics came out. Hate when someone will take one of the standard 650 and chop it. Sure its their bike, but.....
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Quote Originally Posted by crag antler View Post
    My first street bike was a 1975 650. Man to have that bike again.
    Vibration of the twin split an Emco fairing, the highway bars and the front fender.
    Other than that, it was a fun bike. Never cared for when the Classics came out. Hate when someone will take one of the standard 650 and chop it. Sure its their bike, but.....
    It's a shame to cut up an original survivor for sure but with the 650 all the old basket cases and partially complete bikes are just about gone. Last year I ran into a guy with a 100% completely stock 650 in excellent condition that he's owned since new. He mentioned possibly selling it but doesn't want it to turn into someones Frankenstein project, guess I don't blame him! Felt that way about my 450, it wasn't pretty pretty but you just don't feel right about hacking up an honest survivor.
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100

1982 GS450txz (former bike)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" ~ Upton Sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by LAB3 View Post
    It's a shame to cut up an original survivor for sure but with the 650 all the old basket cases and partially complete bikes are just about gone. Last year I ran into a guy with a 100% completely stock 650 in excellent condition that he's owned since new. He mentioned possibly selling it but doesn't want it to turn into someones Frankenstein project, guess I don't blame him! Felt that way about my 450, it wasn't pretty pretty but you just don't feel right about hacking up an honest survivor.
    Exactly; which is why any mods I do to mine are bolt-on only. No sawzall here.
    Of course, if I pop my clogs and the bike passes into new ownership I'll have no say in the matter.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window