Looking to replace front fork springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to replace front fork springs

Looking for help finding the correct fork springs for my bike.

It's a 1982 gs1100gl.

Would like to try the progressive springs but I can't find my model listed. The only options are gs1100g, gs1100l, or gs1100gk.

I already know the ones for a 1100gk won't fit because I had ordered them thinking I had a GK(according to my registration) but it's actually a GL. They were too large in diameter.

Is the 1100gl also considered an 1100L?
    Thanks
    1982 GS1100gl

The GL and L will use the same fork. The G relates to shaft versus chain.

I suspect you could also use the springs from the 1100G too but they might be different as it’s a different fork length. Likely can compensate with Pipe spacers.

the GK is the only GS to use a bigger 41mm fork. You have a 37mm fork.

Sonic springs are also well thought of here...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      The GL and L will use the same fork. The G relates to shaft versus chain.

I suspect you could also use the springs from the 1100G too but they might be different as it’s a different fork length. Likely can compensate with Pipe spacers.

the GK is the only GS to use a bigger 41mm fork. You have a 37mm fork.

Sonic springs are also well thought of here...

Awesome, thanks for the info!
      1982 GS1100gl

Comment

The springs I fitted in my 1000 legs were listed for the nearly all the 1100s, the only difference being the length of spacer if any.
        In mine, none required.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          The springs I fitted in my 1000 legs were listed for the nearly all the 1100s, the only difference being the length of spacer if any.
          In mine, none required.
          Yep. With the exception of the GK, all the 850, 1000, and 1100 bikes from the late 70's and early 80's have 37mm forks and take the same fork springs.
          As you said, spacer length will vary.

Straight rate springs like Sonic or Race-Tech will be better than the progressive ones, but even those will be a big improvement over stock.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I bought some sonics last year ....love them.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
              I bought some sonics last year ....love them.
              Sent an email to Sonic to get spring rate for my specifications
              Last edited by Greg7; 06-09-2020, 09:27 AM.
              1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Anyone know if there will be a big difference between the .90 and .95 spring rate?
                1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7 View Post
                  Anyone know if there will be a big difference between the .90 and .95 spring rate?
                  No, you would probably have a hard time telling the difference.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Awesome thanks for the input
                    1982 GS1100gl

Comment

I have used Progressive Springs in a couple of bigger bikes (Goldwings) over the years
                      For the application they worked well
                      I added Sonic Springs into my 850 when I re-did them about 2 years ago -
                      And I helped another rider do a set as well
                      BEST for these bikes in my opinion -
                      But do yourself a favor-
                      When doing springs - do ALL the fork parts -
                      Seals - Washers - Bolts - Dust Covers - OIL -(clean everything prior to reassembly)
                      You will then not have to do it again anytime soon

Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                        I have used Progressive Springs in a couple of bigger bikes (Goldwings) over the years
                        For the application they worked well
                        I added Sonic Springs into my 850 when I re-did them about 2 years ago -
                        And I helped another rider do a set as well
                        BEST for these bikes in my opinion -
                        But do yourself a favor-
                        When doing springs - do ALL the fork parts -
                        Seals - Washers - Bolts - Dust Covers - OIL -(clean everything prior to reassembly)
                        You will then not have to do it again anytime soon

Good to know. Ordered Sonic springs and seals about a week ago. Still waiting for shipping notification though
                        1982 GS1100gl

Comment

Thought i piggy on this thread. Anyone knows the spring diameter on an 81 GS550T? I took mine out and it measures 25mm but seems the progressive spring on sale for GS550 is only 22mm and 502mm length thus the confusion. And from Race Tech, their springs for GS550 is 23.5mm but only 410mm length.
                          Any advise is much appreciated.
                          1981 GS550 (somehow with a drum rear brake)
                          2019 MT07 (new!!!)
                          2014 Aprilia Tuono RSV4 (sold)
                          1992 Honda CBX750FE (sold)

spending more time wrenching than riding...loving every min of it!

Comment

Originally posted by csgoh View Post
                            Thought i piggy on this thread. Anyone knows the spring diameter on an 81 GS550T? I took mine out and it measures 25mm but seems the progressive spring on sale for GS550 is only 22mm and 502mm length thus the confusion. And from Race Tech, their springs for GS550 is 23.5mm but only 410mm length.
                            Any advise is much appreciated.
                            Length doesn't matter, you just cut a spacer (schedule 40 PVC) to make up the difference. On diameter, generally you can't go bigger than stock (won't fit in tube) but a mm or two less is fine. 3mm less is on the edge, usable but if I had a choice I'd go for one closer.

Sonic Springs is an option too, very similar dimensions to the Race-Tech ones.

There are also some tech articles on the Sonic site, the one on installing springs in damper rod forks has info on determining the correct spacer length.

Comment

Working...
                            X