Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 83 750ES tuning/odd idle

28ABADDB-789A-4563-A242-54DC8A21EDE6.jpg
    unfortunately not much room on the outside two

intial testing at 45 degrees ambient is an engine that will idle around 1500 maybe a tad lower instead of 2k once warmed up.
    ill have to do some daytime testing and I’m either going to scrunch the middle two to match the outside filters which doesn’t seem very scientific or find a way to angle the outside two and balance the carbs.
    1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
    We can rebuild her. We have the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by EDGECRUSHER View Post
    So this is what I came up with. I found some fittings that I was able to grind out to make a restricter that also will not block the air jet like the uni filters do alone. Attachment 62725
    Left is after shaping with a burr on a die grinder.
    Better Plumbing for a Better Life!
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Hi, in my opinion the RS carbs are well worth the money, just make sure you use APE or KN pods.
    1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Quote Originally Posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Could be electrical. Bad coil connection, weak connections where the caps plug onto the plug wires, advance governor sticky...sticky weights or weakening springs are just a few things i think of.
    I'm also thinking it may be electrical. When it misses it seems sudden like it's momentarily losing spark

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

I rewired it last winter, completely. Everything checks out electrically, however, I've had similar problems with the computer going bad. But then I can only test that with another box which I dont have.

Anyway, the temporary restrictors I put in between the air filters and the carbs have shown it's a flow problem. Now my top end, which was great before, is bogging on WOT telling me it's time to jet again. I'm guessing I went too rich compensating for the lack of flow at idle.

I'm also contemplating TIGing up an aluminum air box similar to stock to use instead of pods. The ES frame does not have a lot of room around the intake area to play with and my modifications don't fit. Either a new aluminum air box or when I have my restrictors machined from aluminum, I'll make two offset.
    1983 GS750ES WITH UNI PODS, 4-1 KERKER
    We can rebuild her. We have the technology.