Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS650G Katana - colour of engine covers (clutch, pickups, alternator)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G Katana - colour of engine covers (clutch, pickups, alternator)

I wonder if anyone knows of a paint match for the engine covers (clutch, pickups, alternator) on a GS650GX or GZ Katana (81 or 82)? The cases themselves are the regular silver and I've seen the recommendations for VHT127. So I'll see if I can get that for the top case, barrels and head. But the engine covers are quite different: they are a kind of sandy yellowy silver aluminium, silk or matt finish, not gloss. I know the GS650GT and GL were polished and the 83 GD or MDs were black. I don't know if the intention was to make the GX/GZ Katanas look like magnesium or sandcast alloy but I like it and my engine paint is just horrible.

Forum genii, I look forward to your thoughts.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no particular knowledge, but is it possible you're looking at discoloured lacquer? Try comparing some part numbers for your Kat versus regular 650s of the same age - if there is a colour/finish discrepancy, it may show as different numbers.

1980 GS550ET

Comment

That's a nice picture! Yes, I'm sure the colour is different. Parts on eBay show the colour but I'm not sure it helps if you don't already know because of photography issues.

Here is one in the right colour:

Cheers
      GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.

Comment

I know the colour cast to which you are referring, but I'm pretty positive that, in Canada at least, the case covers were just aluminum as in the image steveb922 posted. Here is a comparison between the models:

'83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

This bike is a GS650G Katana?? The "G" means it's a shaft drive. I never knew any Suzuki Katana came with a shaft drive. Sounds strange as, in the Suzuki line-up, the name Katana meant the sportiest Suzuki offered, and there's nothing sporty about shaft drive's. What have I missed?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The whole of the engine should be painted silver on these. Simoniz VHT silver is a close match but they do 2 different types, one for circa 500 degrees and another for circa 1200 if I remember correctly. I can't remember which is the best match though!
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              This bike is a GS650G Katana?? The "G" means it's a shaft drive. I never knew any Suzuki Katana came with a shaft drive. Sounds strange as, in the Suzuki line-up, the name Katana meant the sportiest Suzuki offered, and there's nothing sporty about shaft drive's. What have I missed?
              The GS650G Katana is a shafty and yes is a proper Kat. It was actually the first, known as ED1 by the factory, for First Euro design, as in commissioned Target Design in Germany. GSX1100S was ED2. The original design sketches show the shaft swinger.

Comment

Thanks Hampshirehog and BigD. Glad you get what I'm taking about. But the shade on the engine side covers is def different from the cases. It's only a matter of appearance but that is what this subforum is about. I've got a coffee table photo book from back in the day. I'll try to take a pic and upload to show the contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by LeT View Post
                  I've got a coffee table photo book from back in the day. I'll try to take a pic and upload to show the contrast.
                  Here is a good quality picture from a bike book published in the early 80s.
                  [IMG]IMG_20200617_090418 by LeT544, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm wondering myself now if I haven't imagined the difference in paint ...

Comment

NOS ignition cover here:

I can't remember the covers being a different colour to the rest of the engine
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

That's a great find. I guess taking an original piece to a powder coater for colour match with the samples they have, that would be an option. Mulling it over. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X