Choke cable elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable elimination

Has anyone done away with the choke cable and used a plunger on the carbs themselves? I found some kits I guess you would call them but I'm not sure if they will work on my 82 850L.
    ---Eric

Afternoon. I have a set of VM26's and removed the choke cable and connectors. I had a wing nut soldered / welded to the end of the choke bar. The ignition was moved to theend of the battery box, turn key, twist wingnut a bit then hit the starter. All sorted.
    1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

Given you have the CV carbs and I expect you do on this model..it'd seem to me a fairly easy mod to cobble together a knob to pull on the enricher shaft with some general bits most workshops have lying around or from the hardware store...I wouldn't know about "kits". what kits? but they'd seem an unneccesary expense, it being such an eclectic product....and fixing your original cable set-up would likely be as cheap and easy.

still, just looking at the fiche (for what it's worth) and without looking at my own 4 cylinder bike, the Best answer would seem to be making a longer shaft allowing room for a knob on the end, but other things could be done...even a loop of wire to pull and then get used to pushing the shaft in....

My Gsx400s and other small cc suzukis have the knob to pull on the left side. You can probably see these in a parts fiche as an idea. It's very unlikely you could fit one of these enricher shaft+knob to your 4 carb bike-too short, I expect.

Comment

The knob to pull the enricher shaft is easy, finding a way to hold it out while pulling the clutch lever & pushing start button, then partly out while warming up is the problem. In those days, some Kawasaki, 750 & 1000 LTD's had the same carbs as yours, but with a knob, no cable.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

finding a way to hold it out while pulling the clutch lever & pushing start button, then partly out while warming up is the problem.
          ??? there's no problem on my bikes that have just a knob-the knob stays wherever you pull/push it to.(...there are tiny spring loaded ball bearings that push up on the shaft and supply friction)

Comment

I'm wondering if an XS1100 style setup might suit. I know some of them had BS34 CVs with a lever pulling the enrichment plungers. That said I think they had a mount for it casted into the #1 carb.

Comment

Yes, the carbs that came with no cable did have the little springs & ball bearings to hold in place. Parts fiche for the "82" Kawasaki shows them. The ones that came with cables, you adjust the friction on the cable, to hold in place. Pull the shaft out on these carbs & it snaps back in. I've never thought the cable was as good as the lever or knob on the carbs, wish none of my bikes had cables.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Yes, the carbs that came with no cable did have the little springs & ball bearings to hold in place. Parts fiche for the "82" Kawasaki shows them. The ones that came with cables, you adjust the friction on the cable, to hold in place. Pull the shaft out on these carbs & it snaps back in. I've never thought the cable was as good as the lever or knob on the carbs, wish none of my bikes had cables.
                Ah so! ...Well, if Sparky has this on his bike, and the spring can't be removed, possibly a counterspring on the knob and shaft neutralize it...

Comment

Working...
                X