Low Output Stator Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Output Stator Leg

Hi all - just bought a 1982 GS650G, loving it so far. Having heard about the likelihood of charging issues, I've had it up on it's center stand for a while now doing electrical checks.

Not bad DC readings at the battery (12.8v idle, 13.5v at ~5k rpm) - so I measured AC output from the stator. At 5k rpm I'm reading ~70v on two of the legs, but only about 10v across the last. A static test with the engine off shows matching impedance across all legs, and no shorts in any of the 3. How is this possible? Could that leg of the stator be burnt out without showing a fault?

That being said, can I live on 2 legs of stator for the time being or is it too risky? Ultimately I will be buying a new stator based on these tests, but I want to know if I can get away with it while I wait for the part.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi chillis and Welcome
    Which pairing gives the 70V and which pair the 10V and have you measured impedances between each phase and ground and between each pair?
    I would be inclined to take the cover off for a close look at the stator coils and the wiring.
    I was having similar issues and discovered this fine example of wiring skill. The stator itself was fine.DSC_0071.jpg
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

were you measuring at the wires directly from the stator......?

Or were you measuring at the connector that goes to the r/r......?

In the original stock wiring the 3 wires from the stator do not all go dierectly to the R/R. One leg plugs into wiring in the wiring harness and goes thru some connectors (where used to be headlight swtich) then back down to the R/R. (at least in all other GS models 80 and after) (but 650s have a few things unique to them)

TO check the stator, you will want to be checking at the wires directly from the stator, the harness with just 3 wires.

The ohm reading is real low, and a few turns of the coil of wire could could have the varnish insulation burnt off and be shorted to each other and still be a low ohm reading.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Charging at 13.5 VDC will keep the battery charged fairly well. You should be fine for a while but I'd plan on replacing the stator at some point in the not too distant future.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi all - thanks for sharing.

What is funny about my situation is that it measures .7ohms across all 3 leads equally, and continuity when I check them against ground - all open lines.

AC output between yellow and either of the others is 70v, only 10v between the 2 whiteblue & whitegreen leads.

Thanks for your input - I'm hesitant about accessing the stator without a good reason, but I guess that's the next step.

Comment

When mine crapped out last year I had 70v between two of the legs so I clipped the wire off the one that was bad, unplugged my headlight and got to where I could pick up a new stator.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by chillis View Post
              Hi all - thanks for sharing.

What is funny about my situation is that it measures .7ohms across all 3 leads equally, and continuity when I check them against ground - all open lines.

AC output between yellow and either of the others is 70v, only 10v between the 2 whiteblue & whitegreen leads.

Thanks for your input - I'm hesitant about accessing the stator without a good reason, but I guess that's the next step.

Comment

Working...
              X