Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750 Wiring Inquiry

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and my friend and I are in the process of making an old 1978 Suzuki GS750 run again. The previous owner before us tried to convert this bike into a cafe racer, however he left it unfinished. We were able to fix some of the stuffs like building a new seat, repainting the old exhaust, etc, but we haven't been able to fix the wiring yet.

My questions are:
    1. Does anybody have a simplified wiring diagram for the a) ignition and b) lighting (both of them separate) for the 1978 GS750? I have tried to simplified the wiring diagram from the original wiring diagram that comes from the service manual and compared it to other GS750's wiring diagrams I found on the web. However, I found some things that are different with each other. For example, the original wiring diagram from the service manual (attached on this post/IMG__3066.JPG) doesn't have a fuse box (only a main fuse) while the diagrams I found on the web (attached on this post/750tz_wiring.jpg) have a fuse box. In addition, the original wiring diagram from the service manual doesn't have an ignitor/CDI on it while the diagram I found on the web does - I assume that the 1978 GS750 doesn't have one because the spark plugs firing are controlled by the contact breaker?
    2. Speaking of fuse box, I read from a post in this forum that there are 5 fuses (including the main). Correct me if I'm wrong: fuse 1-lights, (10A), fuse 2-lights (10A), fuse 3-engine (10A), fuse 4-main (15A), fuse 5-direct from battery for extras (10A). Can anybody explain further which fuses I need for a) ignition and b) lighting? Like where each fuse connects and its position?
    3. Is there a way to test the ignition wiring by just sparking the plugs without running the engine (without bolting the spark plugs into the engine)? We want to test if all the wiring works in order for the spark plug to spark in the engine. Do we need to run the electric motor in order to do this? If so, does it mean the electric motor tries to turn the shaft and piston (because if it does, then we need to lubricate it since it has old oil).
    4. Is there a way to lubricate the whole engine with oil without starting the engine? We don't know when was the last time since the engine was running, so we want to make sure it is lubricated thoroughly with oil specific to the bike.

I'm sorry if those are a lot of questions to answer...I have been involved in a solar car team and PC boards before but not motorcycles. We're eager to learn something new everyday. Me and my friend's goal are just to start this bike running with bare bones wiring and lighting. Like we don't need tachometers (but need a speedometer), etc. Thank you all for your help! We look forward to hearing your advice...

(P.S.: Will upload the pictures after this because it keeps telling me that upload fails...)

Img_3066.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]61198[/ATTACH]

Comment

750tz_wiring.jpg
      750tz_wiring.jpg

Comment

Tried to draw a simpler wiring diagram for the ignition but don't know where the fuse box should go...
        IMG_3074.jpg

Comment

1) The 750T is a later model. The service manual (first pic) is what you should be following. I traced the lines in color just like you did. And yes, the early 750 had a contact breaker.

2) There's only one fuse for the whole bike on the early 750.

3) Yes. You can remove all the spark plug wires from the plugs and all the plugs from the engine. Take one plug, attach a spark wire, and ground the base of the plug against the engine. Key on and turning the engine by hand will give you a spark if everything's working correctly.

4) You should probably change the oil before trying to start it. But I think you'll have a few more things to address before you get to that point.
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
            1) The 750T is a later model. The service manual (first pic) is what you should be following. I traced the lines in color just like you did. And yes, the early 750 had a contact breaker.

2) There's only one fuse for the whole bike on the early 750.

3) Yes. You can remove all the spark plug wires from the plugs and all the plugs from the engine. Take one plug, attach a spark wire, and ground the base of the plug against the engine. Key on and turning the engine by hand will give you a spark if everything's working correctly.

4) You should probably change the oil before trying to start it. But I think you'll have a few more things to address before you get to that point.
            Dear hannibal,

Thank you for the reply! We've been in much better progress than a few days ago. Labelled the wires with masking tape and sharpie so that we can know which cables go to which (because the previous owner confused us by using different colored wires). Been able to buy the necessary wiring connectors, fuse holder and fuses but haven't put in the bike yet. Also ordered new spark plugs (non resistance ones) that are the recommended one because when we tested the spark plug caps with a multimeter, three of them read OL under resistance test and one of them is over 5k ohms (9k ohms). Just want to make sure that the spark plug caps for GS750 are 5k ohms right?

Also, we are planning to install a GPS speedometer - are there any recommendations on a good analogue display one? How does the wiring work on speedometer?

Thank you for your help! Will update more pics as we make progress...

image00.jpg

Comment

Simplified lighting wiring diagram

image1.jpg

Comment

New seat made of fiberglass and resin

image2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X