Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 2000 Install Help on my 1979 GS850G

Hi GSR,

I found a deal on a used Dyna 2000 ignition system with Dyna coils from a member here. I've successfully installed it on my 79 GS850G with the exception of these last two steps.

1). I 'm not finding any info on an electronic tach input for this bike (or whether that's even necessary for the Dyna). The directions say, "Locate the tach input wire and connect it to the appropriate wire on the Dyna 2000 harness (one pulse yellow or 2 pulse green depending on input) ". Since the tach is cable driven, I'm having a hard time figuring out and finding what the alternate/appropriate input is and which color Dyna wire (yellow or green) is appropriate for that input. The previous owner had his wired to a Suzuki 4 cylinder and used the yellow wire, so I'm assuming I will use the yellow, but then still need to find the appropriate tach input from the bike.

2). Also, I'm having a hard time finding the firing order for the coils. I've wired the ignition to the coils following this diagram, but don't know which spark plug wire goes to sparky 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 on the coils when they're wired up as illustrated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by DesertRatliff; 06-13-2020, 08:59 AM.
    1979 Suzuki GS850G The Michio Zombie: The Dead is rising and hungry for brains
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT, Collecting these things is a funny new bad habit

Further reading is indicating I can connect the yellow tach wire to the negative post on one of the coils. I'm assuming that's the white or blue on one coil or the other?

Still need help on the coil firing order, too. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRatliff View Post
      Still need help on the coil firing order, too. Thanks again!
      This is not a car like distributor situation, each coil fires to both wires at the same time.
      Just connect the plugs, should be good.
      Last edited by Rijko; 06-14-2020, 04:40 PM. Reason: i stand corrected ...
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I wouldn't think that you would need to connect the "tach" wire at all since the ignition derives it's timing from the crank sensors and you have a mechanical tach that derives it's input through the cam gears. As I understand it, the tach signal is and output from the ignition module to drive an electronic tachometer which you don't have or need.

From the Dyna 2000i manual:
        4. Tach connection (if equipped). Attach the pink wire from the tach to the 2000i green wire with the large (.250)blade connectors. If the bike had only one pink (or pink/black) wire at the coil, connect this to the 2000i green wire.
        Do not
        connect the 2000i tach wire to the coil or damage to the ignition may result.
        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 06-14-2020, 12:39 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Great info. Thanks guys.

Comment

Just guessing but I suspect the tach wire is for setting the rev limiter. Unless you are racing the bike you don't have to worry about that.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Just guessing but I suspect the tach wire is for setting the rev limiter. Unless you are racing the bike you don't have to worry about that.
              Actually I thing the tach wire is an output for an electronic tachometer. Not needed for a GS.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Not racing! Just got a good deal on this and am hoping for a reliable, modern ignition system on what I hope will be a fun daily rider/weekend tourer.

Thanks once again for the help everyone. I'll heat shrink the tach connections, hook up the sparkys and be done with it. Valve shims get in tomorrow, carbs are rebuilt, all fluids flushed and filled so hoping for another 40+ years of service.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRatliff View Post
                  Not racing! Just got a good deal on this and am hoping for a reliable, modern ignition system on what I hope will be a fun daily rider/weekend tourer.

Thanks once again for the help everyone. I'll heat shrink the tach connections, hook up the sparkys and be done with it. Valve shims get in tomorrow, carbs are rebuilt, all fluids flushed and filled so hoping for another 40+ years of service.
                  Actually with the Dyna 2000 you will have to tweek the timing since it's programmable and the default table may not be appropriate. Unlike the Dyna S that uses the stock mechanical advance curve. If you bike has that mechanical advance it will act in conjunction with the program advancements so the results may be not what you expect.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

thank you for sharing this

Comment

Working...
                    X