Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the Bridgestone Battlax BT46?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT45 work well on my 82 650...

...by the way, Rear tires always wear out sooner than the front. if your front is in good shape, you needn't change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
      I have the BT45 on both tyres, but the back seems somewhat unevenly worn, and on the edge of the legal limit (1.6mm is lowest allowed, it varies between 2 and 1.4 depending on where I meassure). I have no consern for being fined for the tyre, but I am worried about wet traction. Its pretty much only worn in the middle (due to low pressure for the first few thousand kilometers this season, or the tire being more worn than I though, or my rear suspension is going out? Not sure).

I was wondering if the bt46 would give me any advantadges. I sadly haven't gotten enough rain riding with the 45s but they seem great on gravel, dirt and asphalt. Not good on sand though, but I dont think I will be riding through the dessert any time soon.

The price isn't that important to me either. I just want good safe tyres that keeps the rubber side down.

Any thoughts?
      I had the bridgstones about 8 years ago and slipped in the rain...I have used Avon Roadriders and Pirelli Sport Demons ever since....It is what I recommend for sure.
      No signature

Comment

I have ridden the bike almost 5000 kilometers, I understood the tire was pretty much new when I bought the bike, but my understanding might have been wrong. I think the date stamp said 2014, so it is probably due anyways. Its down to like between one and two milimiters in the centre.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          BT45 work well on my 82 650...

...by the way, Rear tires always wear out sooner than the front. if your front is in good shape, you needn't change it.
          I was only planning on changing the rear, for now. But I am sure the front will need to be replaced before the end of the season. I want to do 20 000km on the bike (5000 done so far).

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          I had the bridgstones about 8 years ago and slipped in the rain...I have used Avon Roadriders and Pirelli Sport Demons ever since....It is what I recommend for sure.
          Do you ride on gravel? Does it preform well there? And texas rain or like drizzle?

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          "Anyhoo, the BT-45 has been around for a looooong long time. The BT-46 is apparently new and I'm sure is greatly improved. Try a set, see what you think and report back! Bridgestone makes good tires.
          22 years old design if Im not mistaken.

I am going on a long ride on friday, if the bike shop down there has time, Ill take a BT45 (they have them in stock), if not Ill ride home and ask them to order a BT46, and borrow a bike from my work (Yamaha Tracer 700 most likely). Tire is fine for now, but after 2000 more kilometers Im sure its done.

I have been very impressed with the BT45s, but I dont have much to compare with. Riding this bike is quite different from the modern yamahas Im used to.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

I was only planning on changing the rear, for now. But I am sure the front will need to be replaced before the end of the season. I want to do 20 000km on the bike (5000 done so far).

Do you ride on gravel? Does it preform well there? And texas rain or like drizzle?

I am going on a long ride on friday, if the bike shop down there has time, Ill take a BT45 (they have them in stock), if not Ill ride home and ask them to order a BT46, and borrow a bike from my work (Yamaha Tracer 700 most likely). Tire is fine for now, but after 2000 more kilometers Im sure its done.

I have been very impressed with the BT45s, but I dont have much to compare with. Riding this bike is quite different from the modern yamahas Im used to.
            I have a dr650 for gravel and they don’t call it the “wet coast” for nothing. Lol
            No signature

Comment

I've ordered the BT46 for the rear now. It is due to arrive early next week (he could overnight it, but thats $20, and I need to sort out the switch assembly and move my tools to the garage). I ordered from the normal tyre store because the motorcycle store is so terribly slow, this means I will have to de-wheel the bike myself though (the tyre place can mount and balance motorcycle tyres, they just wont take the wheel off).

I have the new brake disc too, so I need to take the wheel off anyways. And I want to butter the splines, I just need to get that honda molly stuff.

Will report back when Ive got the tyre on. According to Bridgestone it is a significant improvement in wet handling.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

I have been running BT45’s for over ten years on my gs1000g , I really like them. The only complaint is I would like better mileage out of them . But I will gladly give up some miles for piece of mind. I generally get 10-12k out of the fronts and 5-6k from a rear so pretty much a 2-1 ratio
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The BT45 has been continuously improved over the years, the current BT45
                  is way better that the original one. I like them very much.
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I've ordered the BT46 for the rear now.

Will report back when Ive got the tyre on. According to Bridgestone it is a significant improvement in wet handling.
                    Hope you like it, but don't doubt you will.
                    Improving upon the BT45 is filling some big shoes !
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I had them on my 1988 Kat. Good wearing tire. And as here on the BC west coast Goretex is our Provincial symbol good in the rain too ....... I won't say it is better than other tires in the rain as I don't have the comparisons to make . Just that I was happy with it's performance in the wet stuff.....
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                        I have been running BT45’s for over ten years on my gs1000g , I really like them. The only complaint is I would like better mileage out of them . But I will gladly give up some miles for piece of mind. I generally get 10-12k out of the fronts and 5-6k from a rear so pretty much a 2-1 ratio
                        Is that miles? I rode 8000 (5000miles) kilometers on the rear, but they had been used before I got the bike, so it might be pretty much the same distance as you. I see it will be somewhat expensive having to replace tyres 3 times per season (on the rear at least).

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                        The BT45 has been continuously improved over the years, the current BT45
                        is way better that the original one. I like them very much.
                        That makes a lot of sense. I was sort of stumped on how they could preform so well when there is obvious improvements in material.

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        I had them on my 1988 Kat. Good wearing tire. And as here on the BC west coast Goretex is our Provincial symbol good in the rain too ....... I won't say it is better than other tires in the rain as I don't have the comparisons to make . Just that I was happy with it's performance in the wet stuff.....
                        My experience is also its good in the rain. But they claim the new ones will be significantly better. I doubt it matters for my touring style-riding though. Even with the tyres running out of thread I was fine in the rain.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

6300 kilometers (about 4000 miles) and the rear tyre is about 1.6mm (1/16 inch, sorry if thats the wrong unit, imperial makes no sense) which is the legal limit. A lot of highway riding, high speeds and 4000 of those kilometers was with a heavy loadup and just trotting along. Worn mostly in the middle, probably because of a lot of straight riding.

The tires are brilliantly sticky, I never have issues with traction or braking on gravel, asphalt or wet asphalt. And I have gotten a lot of rain. Seems to work great in cold temperatures too.

I think I will keep using these tyres even when they last somewhat short (I'll need more than three rears per season). Front is still good.
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                          X