82 GS1100GL Charging issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100GL Charging issues

I have a 82 GS1100GL with 45,000 km. I replaced the stator and rectifier on it but still doesn't seem to be charging and the only power getting to the igniter is from the battery so when the bike runs it only runs for a short period then shuts off because the battery is drained. When running at 5k rpm the battery is getting 13.8V so it does 'seem' to be charging the battery. Also when I disconnect the ground from the battery the bike shuts off.

any thoughts?

Andrew

What are all 6 numbers from the Quick test results?

Just becuase you think they are not important doesn't be they aren't.

Comment

1: 12.7
      2: 12.3
      3: 12.6
      4: 13.1
      5: 13.8
      6: 12.6

I still don’t understand why the bike would shut off when I disconnect the negative from the battery. Shouldn’t the igniter still be getting power?

andrew

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GL View Post

I still don’t understand why the bike would shut off when I disconnect the negative from the battery. Shouldn’t the igniter still be getting power?

andrew
        System will not operate properly without a battery and will certainly not with a compromised charging system. From those numbers I'd say your system is a bit anemic. Did you start with a fully charged battery?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GL View Post

andrew

Looks like your battery is OK and there is some charging going on. Given you said you replaced the stator and R/R already my guess is you put a Shunt R/R in and burned your new stator up.

Proceed to stator Pages Phase B tests for leg to leg and leg to ground tests at 5K RPM. This will possibly give an indication of the state or the stator.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Looks like your battery is OK and there is some charging going on. Given you said you replaced the stator and R/R already my guess is you put a Shunt R/R in and burned your new stator up.

Proceed to stator Pages Phase B tests for leg to leg and leg to ground tests at 5K RPM. This will possibly give an indication of the state or the stator.
            So I rode the bike for a little bit but, through my own fault, have run into charging issues again. I did put a shunt type R/R in and currently regret it. My leg to leg 5k rpm tests of the stator are 58VAC all around. Leg to ground is 22VAC at 5k rpm.

Comment

“Leg to ground is 22VAC at 5k rpm.”

your stator is no good...replace it and get a series r/r and enjoy happy motoring.
              Note that a series unit won’t save a bad stator
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ive been looking at a new stator and series R/R, are there any suggestions on where I can get a reasonably priced ones in CANADA. All I can find are ones in USA and I just pay double basically to get them here.

Comment

Try this eBay guy for shipping to Canada cost.....decent price...yes, it’s used, but I’ve tested 4 used units and all worked fine. Try member Nessism on here (send him a PM), he sells used units.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Here's a genuine used one in Canada
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X