New GS owner VIN help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS owner VIN help

Hey guys so I recently purchased my first project bike and I honestly have no clue what year or model or even what the main history is. I bought it from a dude that had it stored in his garage for like over 10 years. He says it was abandoned so he sold it me for pretty cheap. My issue is I wanna see about getting a title for it but it doesn't have the usual 17 digit VIN. It only has 11. I've been doing some research for a few days and I've had no luck with getting any info about it. Whats stamped on the frame GS850-121621. I checked the engine and come to find out its different. Its GS850-126416. I wanna try to get as much history as I can about it because I'm afraid I may have bought stolen property. I told the dude once I found the VIN I would request a bill of sale since he doesn't know anything about the bike either. I just really don't wanna get in trouble as well be able to get the appropriate paperwork so that once I'm done getting it fixed up I can sell it or something.
    20200617_193533.jpg

That's the VIN. 17 digit ones came in a year or so after your bike was built

A few better pictures will help identify the year of your bike

You did check to see if the sticker is still on the left side of the steering neck. it would show the month and year of manufacture
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      That's the VIN. 17 digit ones came in a year or so after your bike was built

A few better pictures will help identify the year of your bike

You did check to see if the sticker is still on the left side of the steering neck. it would show the month and year of manufacture
      IIRC 17 digit VINs started in 1981, that and the bike having CV carbs would make it most likely a 1980.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

yea i dont have the sticker. it got worn off since it was sitting for roughly about 10 years i think. i got the plate that was for it as well but when i check for its records nothing in the state data base come up either.
        20200618_224749.jpg
        Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2020, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Both engine and frame number are for a 1980 model, and don't worry about the fact that they don't match - they never did. As mentioned above, the States started using the long VIN numbers in 81. You have a GS850GT.
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

One more vote for a 1980 GS850G.

As mentioned previously the CV-type carbs started in 1980. The previous VM-series carbs were there for just one year, 1979, the year the 850 came out. The straight forks, oval gauge cluster, large tank and (missing) tail cowl confirm that it's a G, not a GL.

As much as I like a bucket seat, that one appears to be two or three inches too tall, making it an uncomfortable ride. Depending on your riding style, you might want to cut that one down to lower it, or look for a stock flat seat to replace it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sweet. You guys have been a great help. How do I write the bill of sale for it? Do I need to write just the vin on just the frame or do i need both vin from frame and motor. Also, how do i go about getting a title for it so i can legally say its mine?

Comment

Use the VIN from the frame and as far as the title is concerned, the PO doesn't have one? I'd suggest you check into your state's rules but I fear you're in for a long haul.
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                  Sweet. You guys have been a great help. How do I write the bill of sale for it? Do I need to write just the vin on just the frame or do i need both vin from frame and motor. Also, how do i go about getting a title for it so i can legally say its mine?
                  Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Use the VIN from the frame and as far as the title is concerned, the PO doesn't have one? I'd suggest you check into your state's rules but I fear you're in for a long haul.
                  Unfortunately Cowboy is probably right. Now if it were just up to us, you could put your right hand on a shop manual and hold a dirty wrench in the other.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Is Virginia not one of the easier states to recover a lost title in, from what I've been reading here and elsewhere.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Every state is COMPLETELY different in whether and how you can title a groovy old bike without papers.

< rant >

With the gawdawful tangle of laws around vehicles, we're a loose federation of 50 countries trying to do everything as confusingly and differently as possible to keep the populace subdued and compliant. Or something like that.

I'll also mention that every state is also full of people who claim it's easy because they once heard of a guy who knows a guy who's cousin's friend's brother's grandma's uncle allegedly accomplished the feat with a Bill of Sale on a napkin back in 1992.

Anyway: NO ONE from some other state can help you. You need to find up-to-date info from YOUR state. You could just walk into your local license branch (or whatever they call this satanic lair in Virginia) and explain what's up and see how feasible this all is. You may need to do this several times, assuming they will talk to you, because you will likely get different answers depending on who you happen to talk to.

In most states (like mine, Indiana), this is 99.99% impossible, only potentially worth the effort and expense for extraordinarily valuable vehicles. I've also tried to deal with several other states in my moto-career, and it's been fairly fruitless. A paperless bike in Indiana is no longer a motorcycle; it's only a collection of parts.

In VA, who knows? It might even be fairly easy; a few states have relaxed laws around vintage vehicles that help quite a bit.

There's also a famed "Vermont Plate" workaround, but many states are closing the door on this. Research this carefully if you decide to try this route.

Honestly, it's quite sad that a stupid piece of paper has totalled more cool vehicles than just about any other cause.

< /rant >

Anyway, good luck with your quest.

And yeah, the engine number on a Suzuki never matches the frame number. Not something Suzuki ever did. Most states do not document the engine number separately, but some do.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 06-20-2020, 10:30 AM.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

There's also a famed "Vermont Plate" workaround

That's the one I was thinking of.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          And yeah, the engine number on a Suzuki never matches the frame number. Not something Suzuki ever did.
                          Same with Kawasaki.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                          X