Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Ever Track Day @ 55yrs and 345 days old.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike looks great! How did it perform on track?
    Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
    2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Fantastic!
      Leaving the garage it is easy to tell there is a giant grin on your mug.

How sore were you the next day.
      I did have the biggest grim all day and I did ache alot for the next 2 days..

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      Pretty bike! I didn't know that tank would fit on the 8V frame.
      It is a GSX 1100 et tank with the single centre mounting at the seat.

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
      The case guards look like they're using up a lot of cornering clearance. Mine are much more conformal to the covers, and I can get the bike over to about 45°, as you can now see in the Gingerman thread. BTW, I'm jealous. Brand's Hatch!
      The guards did not touch down and I'm no Rossi so they do OK for me. Brands indy circuit is great fun for a complete novice like me.

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      Bike looks great! How did it perform on track?
      It was faultless all day, I was advised to cover the speedo over to remove distraction but on the start/finish straight the tach was reading over 8500rpm and normally 70 english MPH is at just 5500 RPM so I would love to know what my actual velocity was on the day.
      I would never had attempted anywhere near those kind of speeds for the amount of time on track without the salty_monk front brake conversion and the engine mods.
      Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

So, I went and done it again at 56 years old this time....

I went back to Brands Hatch on the 17th Sept for another day of fun in the sun and it was 28c which is slightly warm by UK standards.

I can highly recomend the Pirelli Sport Demons, I would have run out of talent long before they ran out of grip.
        Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

Cool you got a 2nd day in. Bet you'll be jonesin for next season to roll around.

Was this Practical Sportsbike trackday? Looks to be a Moto Guzzi Lemans in that one picture or other model?
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Very nice, Bobtail.
            I would be worried about those case savers touching down trying to get rid of that last little bit of chicken strips.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              Cool you got a 2nd day in. Bet you'll be jonesin for next season to roll around.

Was this Practical Sportsbike trackday? Looks to be a Moto Guzzi Lemans in that one picture or other model?
              I never thought that I would be a track day type of person but it's so much fun.

The day was run by The Bike Shed MCC https://bikeshedmoto.com/ and it was for any inapropriate motorcyles so bobbers, choppers, adventure or any other bike you would not normally take to a standard track day, also Charlie Borman was there riding an electric Harley similar to the one he and Ewan McGreggor rode on the Long Way Up, I can report the thing went like a rocket.
              Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

I though that an update on my track day activities was required. I have now done 8 track days and they are just the best time a person can spend clad in leather. The days are run by the Bike Shed Moto co and are aimed at those of us who would not normally do a track day. The pictures below show what sort of bikes and owners attend and tearing around with people of a certain vintage on inappropriate motorcycles is a great way to spend your day.

Jeff

Living the dream...

Comment

No chicken strips on those Dunlops. Well done!
                  A fellow near me has an ongoing Moto Morini 3-1/2 project. Those 500s are beautiful.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice! I grew up near there.... Was fun to go watch the bikes & Trucks etc. Could always tell when the bikes were racing even when I didn't go as there would be bikes pulling wheelies down the A20... They police it better these days!
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What a great time! I had a similar experience years back but at a younger age.
                      I did a Keith Code Superbike School when I was 40 and started racing flat track racing that same year. Congratz! 5-29-10 TT jump II.jpg
                      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Working...
                      X