Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excited to show some things off! but first a Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excited to show some things off! but first a Question!

So I'v posted before about painting my GS Engine and had set on straight black, I then decided to pull off all the covers and shine them up to a mirror finish (pics to follow) I not have everything taped off and ready for paint EXCEPT one last step.

I want to pull off the chain tensioner and clean it up. I've looked at the Suzuki & clymer manuals and both detail the mechanism & how it works however those steps are gone over in complete disassembled phase/section.

(SKIP TO HERE FOR THE ACTUAL QUESTION)
    Can I removed the entire tensioner assy from the block with everything still attached cams head everything. I think as long as I'm careful and I don't have the chain fall off the lower sprocket I should be ok but I don't want to do anything wrong in the very final stage before painting. my thought is as long as the chain stays on the both cam sprockets none of my timing adjustments should come out of wack.

I look forward to posting pics with the engine all back together!
    1983 GS650GL Not running when I bought it. runs great now
    Engine- Carb Cleaned, Valve Adj, Ignition Mod, balanced carbs, Polished/Painted engine, Exhaust wrapped
    Frame & Wheels painted, rebuild brakes/masters, Fixed Tach/Spedo, Sonic Springs in the Front, New handle bars w/bar end mirror/turn signals
    Still To-Do?
    Fuel sending unit, Fuel tank paint job?, LED headlight?, Seat falling apart, Solutions?, Changing look of the rear of bike, Seat, Brake/turn-signals

Can say I've removed & replaced several & never had, or heard, of any problem. "BUT" I've not worked on any GS650, can't imagine it would be different, just say'in I've not worked on a GS650.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You will have to remove the carbs to get enough room to access the tensioner, but there is absolutely no problem removing the tensioner.

When you put it back together, be sure to read ALL the steps in the instructions.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        You will have to remove the carbs to get enough room to access the tensioner, but there is absolutely no problem removing the tensioner.

When you put it back together, be sure to read ALL the steps in the instructions.

Yes, ditto on reading all the instructions first. Very bad things can happen if you install a cam chain tensioner incorrectly.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Once you remove the tentioner do not move the crankshaft.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You've, uh, you've seen this, right?

But yes, you can remove and reinstall it without losing timing. I've done it many times.

1) DO NOT rotate the crankshaft while it's out. Not even a little. Safest to set the engine to TDC first, too.

2) The tensioner is sort of a one-way valve; once you start to remove it, it needs to come all the way out so you can reset it before re-installation.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X