Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good replacemnt rear tire for a 650 twin Tempter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good replacemnt rear tire for a 650 twin Tempter?

Last year I bought a 650 Tempter that needs a lot of work. Yesterday, I tried to pump some air into the valve stem and it broke loose just putting a slight side load on it. So now I have to pull the tire and see it is not worth saving. It currently has a Metzler 130/90/B16 tire. Is that a good replacement choice for grip and endurance .... or can someone recommend a better choice for the Tempter?

Also, it was my understanding that the Tempter had a single swing arm ... but this one is a dual swing arm. It has the dual color tank and side covers and I thought it was the D model, but now I am not sure and don't know how to confirm either way?
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Avon Roadrider
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post

Also, it was my understanding that the Tempter had a single swing arm ... but this one is a dual swing arm. It has the dual color tank and side covers and I thought it was the D model, but now I am not sure and don't know how to confirm either way?
      Single swing arm? You mean a single sided swingarm like a VRF or BMW? If so, NO. The Tempter never had that feature.

Regarding model numbers those are linked to the model year. When was your bike built? The info should show on the VIN sticker on the steering neck.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Single swing arm? You mean a single sided swingarm like a VRF or BMW? If so, NO. The Tempter never had that feature.

Regarding model numbers those are linked to the model year. When was your bike built? The info should show on the VIN sticker on the steering neck.
        I just looked .... it was built 2/83. Suzuki discontinued building this model after just one year due to poor sales. I was confused on my description ... it has a Mono shock, not a single sided swingarm. It is the D model with mag style wheels, not the X. I have put off working on it thru the cold winter months and now till I get a rear tire. It need full choke to keep running when cold and ever so slowly warms up to run decent on NO choke. For some reason last year, I just wanted a 650 twin engine bike as I like the simplicity of 2 cylinders and the 80s bike look and tech. Adding a nice shiny back rest and luggage rack helped too.
        Dennco2
        1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Trevor, I will look into that later today.
          Dennco2
          1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

The size of the tire also depends on the size of the wheel.

What size is the wheel?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The size of the tire also depends on the size of the wheel.

What size is the wheel?

the front wheel is 19 inches and takes a tire size 100/90/19

the rear wheel is 16 inches and takes a tire size 130/90/16

I will order front and rear together today after doing some price shipping.
              Dennco2
              1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

I will order front and rear together today after doing some price shipping.
                American Moto Tire is a great source. Free shipping and good prices.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I used Avon Roadriders on my Tempter. Worked well for me. As you noted, it has a monoshock. The X model had spoked wheels, single color paint job. The XD model had mag wheels, two-tone paint color, front air shocks, and a front running light.

Comment

Diameters are nice, but what are their widths? The WHEEL size is cast into the rim. Not sure about the Intruder, but a GS has it cast into the web in the center.

Previous owners are known to do some rather strange stuff to the bikes, so what you happen to see on the bike when you get it might not be what is actually recommended. Did you get those "takes a ..." sizes from a parts listing or what you found on the bike?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Diameters are nice, but what are their widths? The WHEEL size is cast into the rim. Not sure about the Intruder, but a GS has it cast into the web in the center.

Previous owners are known to do some rather strange stuff to the bikes, so what you happen to see on the bike when you get it might not be what is actually recommended. Did you get those "takes a ..." sizes from a parts listing or what you found on the bike?

With your advice, I looked up the correct tire size at Suzuki Parts House and confirmed the tires sizes are correct. I couldn't make much sense of the numbers cast into the wheel. Anyway, I just ordered those sizes and will be excited to get this bike on the road and running well !!
                      Dennco2
                      1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X