Modern Exhaust Header on 80's Vintage GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Exhaust Header on 80's Vintage GS

For curiosity's sake, are there any "moderately" modern exhaust headers that port over to early 80's GS well?

As an example, you have an 750 and see a 2004 gsxr750 being parted out; they are similar displacements, are the exhaust ports spaced similarly?

If you did find a header that fit, and don't alter the air intake or the mufflers (throwing off the carb setup), would the new(er) header effect the performance in any way?

Pros: alternate source for parts, options for realigning your exhaust without cutting/welding

Cons: find something that fit,...?

Thoughts?
    1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

It's about time a list was made!
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      It's about time a list was made!
      I could never tell if this was sarcasm or not, although I suppose that's how you know it's good sarcasm...if so, well played!

Regardless, my '82 650E came with a 4-into-1 header that leaks like a sieve, and I'm looking for replacement options. I'm finding that a lot of sites have parts for most engine sizes but conveniently skip the 650...I think it's a conspiracy to be honest...or maybe it's because they have 550 bottom end and different cylinders? Who knows.

I'd prefer to find a decent used option locally rather than buy an aftermarket part if I can, but sometimes supply and demand can force your hand. Anyway, has anyone had success using alternate headers on their GS (i.e. - non-OEM, non-aftermarket)?

Comment

Most modern engines are water cooled and the cylinders are canted forward.
        This makes the headers narrower spaced and at least the first bend out of the head at a shallower angle which makes them no where near a fit for the earlier more upright air cooled motors.
        Already been down this road and the only use most modern systems have are a cheapish source of stainless pipe for making your own exhaust.
        The best chance you have is finding a modern retro which is based on an older design such as Kawasaki did with the ZR750 Zephyr which the engine was based on the old aircooled Z650/750 and the exhausts are pretty much a straight fit apart from the rear mounts.
        The exhaust on one of my builds in the attached pic is made from parts of recycled modern systems ( GSXR, R1,ZX9R ) but not one of the bends is in the location it was originally situated.

316_zpsmwprixun.jpg
        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

In my years here, I've never heard of any "modern" exhaust systems fitting a GS. For your 650E, the 2V 550 systems should fit, since the 650 is an expanded 550 engine.
          Last edited by Nessism; 10-19-2022, 05:59 PM.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The closest thing to “modern” you are going to find would be a MAC, V&H or something similar that was designed for it.
            I ride many bikes.
            Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Hindle.....great exhausts
              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by KillerGriller View Post

I could never tell if this was sarcasm or not, although I suppose that's how you know it's good sarcasm...if so, well played!

No sarcasm intended.
                However, as others have pointed out, it's likely hardly anything will be a straight swap, let alone an awkward swap.
                During the heyday of the GS, when they were cheap and common and about 10 years old, there were plenty of other UJMs around with exhausts that were broadly similar. That's when a list should have been made.
                Not the case now, though.
                Otoh, where a list would be useful would be if you found some New-Old-Stock XS1100 system and wondered if it might fit a GS1000, say.
                Or, in your case, a Yamaha XJ650 Seca or Maxim might fit a GS650.
                I've a sneaking suspicion that one of my GS850 systems will fit my XJ900F, but haven't tried it yet.
                Last edited by Grimly; 10-20-2022, 06:24 AM.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  They only make them for the 1100 in the 1980-1985 range

Comment

They only make them for the 1100 in the 1980-1985 range
                    Nope...I have a Hindle for my 1980 GS1000S
                    Call them
                    No signature

Comment

The air/oil cooled GSXRs share the same exhaust spacing as the GSx (4 valve) series. There are, however, differences in the depth of the sump to take into account.

Motogpwerks make a beautiful pipe for our vintage bikes

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

Nope...I have a Hindle for my 1980 GS1000S
                        Call them
                        Correction* - Nothing smaller than 1000 for the GS

Comment

Correction* - Nothing smaller than 1000 for the GS
                          They do custom too..
                          No signature

Comment

Working...
                          X