me, my friend, and our 1978 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schwalbewurger View Post
    We also have a question regarding the serial number of the engine and frame. The number on the engine is: GS750-44811 and the number on the frame is: GS750-33577. I tried to look up engine and frame serial numbers but have had no success yet because I wasn't sure how to decode the numbers. I found the numbers for GS750 online but am not sure if these numbers are the starting production numbers or does it have to be exact with our engine?

The reason I am asking this is because we realized our left sprocket cover does not fit with the engine - the previous owner must have bought a different model year cover. But we want to make sure that the engine is 1978 GS750 before buying the right sprocket cover for it.
    On your side cover, the 77-79 motors are all the same.

The frame numbers and the engine numbers never match.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      On July 12 you posted this:

However, on June 23 you posted a video of the bike (sort of) running. Which is it?

I watched the video. First things first, get an exhaust system on there.

While you are rebuilding the carbs and waiting for the carb bodies to soak overnight in the carb dip, check your valve clearances.

Get something on the intake side of the carbs. When there is nothing there, you can get the engine to start, but then it will act just like it did in your video. Turn the grip and NOTHING happens. To illustrate the point, take a shop rag, fold it in half, drape it over the carb intakes. Repeat that throttle grip twist and be amazed at the difference.

Good that you are willing to learn, but please ask questions BEFORE making serious mistakes. Yes, the search function can be a bit frustrating at times, but there is a LOT of information here.

Yes, the June 23 video was before you told us to not turn the bike on. So we have not turned the bike on before adjusting the valve clearance until now too.

Comment

S
        Originally posted by Big T View Post
        On your side cover, the 77-79 motors are all the same.

The frame numbers and the engine numbers never match.
        Sounds good! We bought a new side cover for 77-79 and it fits well - turns out the previous owner installed the wrong side cover.

Comment

OK, but you need to document your progress in the Projects forum
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X