Bike bogs down while running in 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike bogs down while running in 2nd gear

I got my bike running and got my permit, and took it for a spin around a parking lot. Ran fine in 1st gear, but I shift up to 2nd, and it starts bogging when I add throttle. I didn't try shifting up to 3rd. Rather than push it, I packed it in and headed home.

What's going on?
    Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 06-25-2020, 02:13 PM.
    1980 GS550E

When you say it ran fine in first gear......how fine ? did bike accelerate nicely to 4K rpm before shift to second?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Same question, What rpm in 1st? what rpm in 2nd?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I recorded a video. I'm currently away from my computer, but I'll upload it when I get back.
        1980 GS550E

Comment

Hey, at least it’s running and driving. That’s a huge step,ZPS. Your persistence is paying off. Well done.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            When you say it ran fine in first gear......how fine ? did bike accelerate nicely to 4K rpm before shift to second?
            Don't you mean 9k?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXH9LHanqn8
              1980 GS550E

Comment

Its not bogging you are lugging the engine.
                Shift at 4 minimum very little power is produced below that even on level ground mine works best at 4 preferably 5 and above.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Ok. Doing great. Your RPMs aren’t high enough when you’re shifting into 2nd, so your lugging the engine when you’re in 2nd. Normal. Need more space to get going faster, higher RPM, maybe 4K, before upshifting. Upshifting at 3k as you did is fine as long as you continue to accelerate once you’re there. But you let off the throttle and the RPMs dropped accordingly. To me your engine sounded like it behaved as expected.

The 250 you on which you took your MSF course got to a higher RPM at a lower speed than this bike. You can likely expect to do everything you did in the course at 2nd gear on the 250, now at 1st gear on this bike.

On the attempted restart, you should not be twisting the throttle while pressing the start.

Keep practicing, and look for some more room, a bigger lot, to wind it out a little. Well done.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 06-26-2020, 08:35 AM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

It seems normal. Your rpms are too low and the engine is lugging. Those little 250s they trained you on are geared allot lower and they are a little lighter. It'll just take a little getting used to your bike.
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Yes. "Lugging" can be more harmful than redlining. You're not riding an 11E, which can get you into all kinds of legal trouble at only 4k.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hey ZPS, it's been a week since you posted your first ride video and haven't posted since. Don't know if maybe you haven't stopped riding long enough to check in. I know this has been a long haul for you getting your bike running. Just wanted to check, is everything's OK?
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Zombie hasn’t posted anything since 7/1. Got his bike running. Showed us a video. Then vanished. Hope he’s OK.
                          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-29-2020, 04:34 PM.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            Zombie hasn’t posted anything since 7/1. Got his bike running. Showed us a video. TheN vanished. Hope he’s OK.
                            Ditto......

Comment

Working...
                            X