Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical woes - low voltage, starting issues, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
    There is a small setscrew with a locknut at the back of the horn. Loosen the locknut and turn the setscrew in or out slightly until the horn works properly.

You can also measure the voltage at the horn - if it is low, there is voltage loss in the connectors or the horn switch itself is dirty inside. A relay is a "bandaid" to restore full voltage that should be available if all connectors are all clean.
    Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    Glad you are making progress. Horn doesn't need a relay. Take it off and bench test it. to be sure it works and of course, connections back through switch,ground etc.
    I should have mentioned it's not the original horn. I replaced it a long time ago with one of those FIAMM horns. I know that it does work, I've bench tested it and it does sound if the bike is revving past a certain point. I've measured the voltage at the horn terminals and it was low, don't remember exactly but I think maybe only like 6-8v were getting to it (can't test it easily right now because I currently have no horn button assembled). That's what prompted me to take apart the left switch gear (if you've seen my other thread you know how that went ). So yes - I do need to go through some more connectors and just make sure everything is as clean as possible. I bought some naval jelly and dielectric grease and I have a set of new bullet connectors if needed. Ready to get down to business as soon as I get the switch gear sorted.

The encouraging thing is that I know I have reduced the voltage drop by a couple volts already. At least at the instrument cluster. So it can only improve from here I hope.

Comment

ah, Fiamm horns...I have the compressor (garage sale) but no airhorns to suit it. I'm thinking they would draw quite a lot of current..likely the stock ones do too. So you are in the right place with turn signals and all...the button.

I'm not a horn guy anyways though I test 'em every so often.... Actually, come-to-think, nobody hereabouts uses the horn except to say goodbye to family or friends from the curb....
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-13-2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

A relay for horns is always a good idea when you consider their current draw and the flimsy switch contact in the bars.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My single does without quite well without but maybe the Fiamm would benefit...cars use relays for horns and lights but they have more, the routing is a bit longer, and the harness has a lot of wires so smaller gauge helps, I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X