Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Modify Steering Stops for Aftermarket Bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Modify Steering Stops for Aftermarket Bars?

Mornin' GSR,

I did a google search but....

I've got a 79 GS850 that is finally running well enough to start worrying about the aesthetics/details. Somewhere along the line, someone installed aftermarket bars and didn't correctly modify the steering stops so the bars slap the tank at full-lock in both directions. As a result, the tank is dented slightly from the bars and the paint has pealed and is bare there. For many different reasons, I'd like to correct the steering stops but don't want to reinvent the wheel. Also, I like the looks/aesthetics/geometry of the bars and don't want to get rid of them. Please point me in the direction of the best way to modify the steering stops.

Thanks!

Here's a pic I took the other day on initial start-up while "carb tuning". Notice the dents and bare spots on the tank from bar contact.
    1979 Suzuki GS850G The Michio Zombie: The Dead is rising and hungry for brains
    1980 Suzuki GS850GT, Collecting these things is a funny new bad habit

I haven't done it on a GS, but on other bikes I've glued small pieces of 1/8" aluminum to either the stop on the steering head or the one on the triple to restrict the movement.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I've seen nuts JB Welded to the existing stops. Hoping for something a little more elegant but something like that might have to do! LoL

Comment

Gosh, yrs. ago you saw this all the time, I didn't realize this still was happening. I never saw anyone modify the stop, just got a handlebar that fit. Hey Rich, what kind of glue, My B12 has the left stop broken off. I've got a replacement lower triple clamp, but dreading pulling it all apart to replace it. Something glued on, that will hold, would be great. Thanks in advance.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Gosh, yrs. ago you saw this all the time, I didn't realize this still was happening. I never saw anyone modify the stop, just got a handlebar that fit. Hey Rich, what kind of glue, My B12 has the left stop broken off. I've got a replacement lower triple clamp, but dreading pulling it all apart to replace it. Something glued on, that will hold, would be great. Thanks in advance.
          I think I used JB Weld. This was on various race bikes, so it's been a while. Keep in mind though that I wasn't replacing a stop, just securing something in place that only took a compressive load. No shear forces.
          Last edited by RichDesmond; 06-26-2020, 12:54 PM.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'm not Rich, but JB Weld has worked fantastic for that sort of thing in all my quick-fixes of the past, especially if you've got a replacement you just need rainy-day-time to install.
            Last edited by DesertRatliff; 06-26-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Opposite problem from mine, had clip ons and there were extended tabs to limit tank interference. It was quite nicely done, I had to grind back to use normal bars. Looked like rectangular bar stock in the shape and dimension of the stock stop was welded on. That seemed the best solution to my eyes.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                Opposite problem from mine, had clip ons and there were extended tabs to limit tank interference. It was quite nicely done, I had to grind back to use normal bars. Looked like rectangular bar stock in the shape and dimension of the stock stop was welded on. That seemed the best solution to my eyes.
                I think that is about what I did. I clamped aluminum square stock stops to the lower triple. Confirmed range of motion to avoid the tank and took it to the welder.

I also drilled through the triple so he could weld to the base of the stop not just the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  Nice! I'd love to see some close up pics. I'm a decent welder and that didnt even cross my mind to be honest. I always like modifications to be removable by the next guy but this might be the best option. After all, just about anything is removable with the right grinding wheel or torch!

Comment

I've drilled and tapped a hole, then installed a socket head screw with a locknut to create an adjustable steering stop to repair crash damage. You can do this on the lower triple or on the frame, depending on what you have available.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Awesome! That's a great solution and I'll try that first. Thanks for posting

Comment

See below.

I ground it down with a Dremel stone and it is just right, it has about 1mm clearance on the huge oil cooler that is on my bike. That was just dumb luck, I was just trying to get it so I could move the bike around the garage easier as it had very little steering lock at all, only ever being raced in a straight line - it didn't matter. I still can't use the steering lock, it's a little bit too restrictive for that, but that's no big deal to me. I read there are problems with those locks anyway so I'll never have that issue.

The adjustable idea in the other post sounds good to me and not being a welder that's what I'd probably do if I had to DIY it.

Originally posted by DesertRatliff View Post
                        Nice! I'd love to see some close up pics. I'm a decent welder and that didnt even cross my mind to be honest. I always like modifications to be removable by the next guy but this might be the best option. After all, just about anything is removable with the right grinding wheel or torch!
                        Last edited by oldGSfan; 06-26-2020, 05:58 PM.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          I've drilled and tapped a hole, then installed a socket head screw with a locknut to create an adjustable steering stop to repair crash damage. You can do this on the lower triple or on the frame, depending on what you have available.
                          This is the easiest way...
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X