Storm's New England Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm's New England Adventure

I started my vacation (business&#128521 trip last Friday the 26th. I got a late start but managed to get to Syracuse New York by evening. I did get off the highway and rode NY rt 20, touching the tips of the Finger Lakes. Saturday, I got a early start (5:30am) I was trying to out run some rainy weather(more on that later). I did out run the weather and had a fabulous day going through New York and Vermont. Sunday was awesome! I took rt2, a two lane highway across Vermont into New Hampshire and on to Bangor Maine. While I was in New Hampshire, I saw a sign, Mount Washington Auto Road. I decided to do it! Mount Washington, elevation 6280 feet. The highest point east of the Mississippi! Getting up the mostly paved road was no big task for the big Yamaha. However getting down was a little taxing on the BRAKES. I about scorched the rear rotor. It got hot, but no warping... Today I left my plush hotel room in the rain! I put on my rain gear as I was checking out. However I only had about 60 miles to ride. Bangor to Bar Harbor Maine. The nice lady at the hotel let my check in early, she even gave my motorcycle a covered carport to park in. After the rain let up, I made my way into town. Very quaint I must say. Fancy restaurants and all. But if you want LOBSTER like I do, you go to the outskirts of town to the roadside Lobster joints. Nothing fancy just good eating! Hopefully tomorrow is not a complete wash out, I have a lot to explore... It's a good thing Bar Harbor got this rain today. When coming into town the bay was nearly empty, now its full? 🤔
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Ah, the Finger Lakes region...beer country. Beautiful roads and people. I lived just north of there for three years. Keep us informed. Pictures, please.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Here is one of the roadside Lobster stands I was talking about. 🌞
      Attached Files
      My Motorcycles:
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        Here is one of the roadside Lobster stands I was talking about. 🌞
        Bring me a doggy bag?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Cool! My old stomping grounds. Dad in the '68 Impala losing brakes coming down Mt Washington, I think he threw it in park along with the E brake and skidded to a stop, nearly cliff diving.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Awesome. Rt 20 through central ny is cool. I rode it last year from Utica home. First time cuz usually just take the thruway. I assume that was the main road before the interstate was built..
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I've ridden my bicycle up Mt. Washington twice. Was lucky to have nice weather both days. They wouldn't let you ride down though due to the brake issue.
              1982 GS 550 L

Comment

Norm, looks like a great trip! Keep the updates coming!
                Ron
                When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                1982 GS1100E
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I had a great day today, a little overcast but a nice 5 hour window of no rain. I rode up Cadillac Mountain (not really a mountain). On a clear day you can see for miles. Today about 25 yards! It was so foggy. I was so disoriented I lost my motorcycle in the parking lot! Back down to sea level, out of the clouds I could see fine again. I toured around to different villages. Stopped at some scenic lookouts... Then it started to rain pretty good so I called it a day. I found a website that gives the tide schedule, so I've been keeping up on that. Tomorrow? I have know idea where I'm going to go. I'd like to find some sunshine one way or the other... 🌞
                  Attached Files
                  My Motorcycles:
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    I'd like to find some sunshine one way or the other... 🌞
                    I have no doubt but that you will find it...or make it.

Comment

Tomorrow is loot good to rip a Yamaha!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yesterday I left Bar Harbor in the rain. After about a hour, it started to clear up, then back to rain. That was how the whole day went, off and on rain... Today was fun! I met up with the Jedz'ster! I got to check out his work shop, look at all his bikes then we went for a ride to Lake George to meet up with his buddy. After BS'ing for a bit, they went back east and I continued west. It was nice being out of the rain, but now it's getting HOT(low to mid 90's). I'm almost home, I'll have a nice relaxed ride to finish my business trip... 🙂
                        Attached Files
                        My Motorcycles:
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)

Comment

Glad you got some better weather.
                          Just curious how this turned into a "business" trip.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It was a necessary business trip to clear my mind from work. When I go back to work I'll be able to give them 100% well, 90% anyway. 😉

When going into shops or hotels I always had a mask on. If for nothing else it shows respect for the workers that have to wear a mask all day. Also, you look funny and out of place if you DON'T have a mask on. When dining, I would eat outside or get take-out. I mostly stayed at upscale hotels where they take cleaning a little more serious and it keeps the riff-raff out. I think I did really good about staying away from the virus...
                            My Motorcycles:
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)

Comment

Omg could justin's place be any more home towny? There's even a little church across the street.
                              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                              82 gs1100L probably the next project
                              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Working...
                              X