Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaseburg Hideaway (Wisconsin)

Guys/Gals,

I have no idea if this is already known but ...

M and I went for a long ride, scouting routes for a decent day trip with local friends. I looked at the most excellent maps of one Krusty, GBW, Baatfam & BWringer.

Along the way, I was bombarded with sweet memories from rallies and scouting rides past. There were a LOT of visual triggers: huge, 300+ year old farm houses still maintained and in use, local establishments with antique signage, landscapes even that would bring back phantom memories of some of the best moments in my riding career.

After Wildcat Mountain, we headed straight to Chaseburg.

And that's when things got pretty lonesome.

The Hideaway is permanently closed.

It was completely overgrown. Silent. No traffic. None of my fellow GS Resource buddies to mourn with. Desolite.

Being as how some of you introduced me to the riding environment that is Wisco, I hope you can appreciate that this was a little hard for me. Wifey knew it. Thought of every last one of ya.

Anyhow, I asked a local about it and the story goes that the owner died in a plane crash. End of story. End of Hideaway.

Now I have to figure out where to buy walleye cheeks and cheese curds for Thursday's group ride.

On the flip side of that coin ...

This means I absolutely MUST see the lot of you at a rally this year before we hit TX. Then, while we're in TX, we've got to start something new between 10/1 & 12/31, weather and will permitting.

Best to all who remembers that joint. Raise a glass.
    Last edited by Groove_Daddy; 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM.
    Present: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2016 Triumph Street Triple R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 125
    Past: 2003 Suzuki GSF1200S Bandit, 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT, 1997 Honda CB250 Nighthawk, 1982 Yamaha XS400RJ Seca, 1967 Honda C100 Super Cub, 1976 Honda CB500T
    Other: Robin's Road Ruckus (Music) | The Riding Obsession (Website)

Oct 2010:
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

IIRC, that was the place where we rolled up one year and a couple of guys were butchering a deer in the driveway. They kindly pushed their project into a nearby shed and hosed the blood away; they had the deer strung up on a sort of handy deer butchering cart.

Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure that was a deer.

Some other year, we rolled up and were doing the usual preprandial idle chitchat thing, when something started tickling my subconscious. There was an itch at the back of my brain, the sort of itch I knew I needed to pay attention to. After wandering back and forth a few times, the itch deepened and I spotted the cause; a missing caliper bolt on some guy's GS. I pointed it out, and he started to panic a bit; there was no cell signal, and he needed to call his wife to come out with a trailer, and OMFG whatamigonnado?

Meanwhile, a quick rummage in my tool kit produced a replacement bolt and the problem was soon sorted out.

Lots of us carry decent tool kits, but a small collection of spare nuts and bolts has saved the day for someone more than once.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
      X