Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750 bar swap

Hey guys,

I'm swapping out the headlight/gauges/bars on my 1983 GS750ES and was wondering if anyone has any experience with removing the stock bars. It seems like they're secured with the fork caps nuts. Can I just remove these nuts without messing up the suspension? I noticed some gas escaping from the fork when loosening them

IMG_20200630_212421.jpg

Originally posted by Officer peepee poopoo View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm swapping out the headlight/gauges/bars on my 1983 GS750ES and was wondering if anyone has any experience with removing the stock bars. It seems like they're secured with the fork caps nuts. Can I just remove these nuts without messing up the suspension? I noticed some gas escaping from the fork when loosening them

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61303[/ATTACH]
    Hey I have the same bike! Bought it near Seattle....a mechanic buddy did mine...sorry not much help in how exactly he did it but here is a pic....

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Hey I have the same bike! Bought it near Seattle....a mechanic buddy did mine...sorry not much help in how exactly he did it but here is a pic....

Very cool Trevor! Your bike is immaculate! I have the same yosh pipe on mine too.

Comment

Very cool Trevor! Your bike is immaculate! I have the same yosh pipe on mine too.
        Thanks! I would love to see more pics of yours and it’s history please. 🙂
        No signature

Comment

Thanks! I would love to see more pics of yours and it’s history please. 
          btw the super bike bars transformed my bike. Way better for everyday riding.
          I bought it from the original owner last year. 17,000 miles
          No signature

Comment

btw the super bike bars transformed my bike. Way better for everyday riding.
            I bought it from the original owner last year. 17,000 miles
            Nice, yeah I bought some renthal superbike bars to put on mine too. The bike has 67k on it but still running strong!

A couple findings though:

1. If you unscrew that nut, the fork spring will shoot out! Not necessary to take the bars off though.

2. I was going to use an '83 850 top clamp to mount my bars, but the spacing between the forks is too wide.

If anyone knows the bolt size for the original bar mounting bolts (part # # 07130-1030B) that'd be greatly appreciated. I'm going to mount my bars with screw in mounts like yours Trevor.

Comment

Nice, yeah I bought some renthal superbike bars to put on mine too. The bike has 67k on it but still running strong!

A couple findings though:

1. If you unscrew that nut, the fork spring will shoot out! Not necessary to take the bars off though.

2. I was going to use an '83 850 top clamp to mount my bars, but the spacing between the forks is too wide.

If anyone knows the bolt size for the original bar mounting bolts (part # # 07130-1030B) that'd be greatly appreciated. I'm going to mount my bars with screw in mounts like yours Trevor.
              I sent an email to my mechanic for more info...stay tuned.
              No signature

Comment

Dont have a 750es, have a 650gl but damn can i agree with swapping out the stock bars I went from the stock wrist destroyers to some honda cb400f bars and its a great swap one of the best decisions I have made
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Lol... from my mechanic

Hi Trevor.. I’m drawing a blank on this!. ..all I remember is once the clip ons were removed it exposed the air holes in the forks.. and we had to drop the forks to cover them and we were limited by the height of the bars/ bar clamps.. you added the clamp extensions and all was well( allowing the air holes in forks to be covered..bike runnin’ good?
                  No signature

Comment

Lol... from my mechanic

Hi Trevor.. I’m drawing a blank on this!. ..all I remember is once the clip ons were removed it exposed the air holes in the forks.. and we had to drop the forks to cover them and we were limited by the height of the bars/ bar clamps.. you added the clamp extensions and all was well( allowing the air holes in forks to be covered..bike runnin’ good?
                    Lol it's all good. I put the mounting bolts in a bolt gauge and it looks like an M12. Just gotta find some bar mounts in that size and I'm good.

I don't see any air holes for the forks exposed though. The schrader valve for the air susp component is covered by a bolt on the left.

Comment

If anyone knows the bolt size for the original bar mounting bolts (part # # 07130-1030B) that'd be greatly appreciated.
                      I put the mounting bolts in a bolt gauge and it looks like an M12.
                      If that part number is for your bolts, the second half of the number tells you that they are M10 x 30.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The holes in the forks are covered by a sleeve on each tube that are just below the upper tripple, that has a schrader valve on one and a hose that connected the two together. That is what you could add air to the forks with. Years ago i removed them so i could slide the fork tubes up so there would be more of the tube above the upper tripple for the clip-on style bars. The holes were covered by the upper tripple. What his mechanic did was, he removed the stock bars and installed some threaded post style handlebar clamps, into the threaded holes that the bolts went into that held the stock bars in place.
                        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If that part number is for your bolts, the second half of the number tells you that they are M10 x 30.

Cool. Do you know what the thread pitch is though? I ordered 10mm mounts but they are imperial pitch. So I'm thinking I'll have to drill it out and retap it.

Comment

I finally got this thing swapped over. Had to tap the top clamp threads and do a bit of soldering for the new guage:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cqc...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Crm...w?usp=drivesdk

Comment

Working...
                            X