Spark plug gaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug gaps

Do I need to adjust them if I just buy new plugs?
    GS1000G 1981

Yes, you should. They could have been damaged in transit
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Yes, you should. They could have been damaged in transit
      Thank you for a consise answer.

It appears getting the shims to meassure is easy, but what do I use to bend them if they are out of spec?

I was thinking of these shims:

GS1000G 1981

Comment

They're the proper feelers, and for setting the gaps you can buy a tool for it.
        Otoh, I've never used a special tool, just a small-bladed plain screwdriver to lever against the side shell and slightly force the outer electrode up - be careful to never put any force on the central electrode or ceramic insulator.
        To reduce the gap, simply tap something (another plug, screwdriver handle, small spanner, etc) against the outer electrode. Gently does it though, you don't want to go too far.

Discover the keys to setting the correct spark plug gap with Champion Tech Tips.

Last edited by Grimly; 07-01-2020, 07:49 PM.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Come on, where's the picture of the round gap gauge that has the little hook to bend the outer electrode in or out without pecking or prying on anything?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have found them to always be quite close. THey (NGK anyway) are packaged with a little tube over the end that protects it.

Any auto parts store has the gap checker / adjust tool for 2 - 3 - 4 bucks.
            Some have a different gap adjuster feature than this one.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've always found them to be spot on so I don't bother to check them anymore.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                Do I need to adjust them if I just buy new plugs?
                depends on the plugs. I bet there is a Youtube video on this topic.

Comment

I've got one of the round ones like Redman posted. It doesn't take much time and you'll know because you measured.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                  X