No announcement yet.

changing over original Suzuki R/R to SH775

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will toss any Philips type screw in a heartbeat in exchange for allen head screws. I prefer to get them in stainless.

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
      https://www.gofastinnovations.com/st...1-4-p112701915 <- Like these? Sadly mine were missing so I am still awaiting shipment.

Is there allen head bolts for the round covers on the engine? Or the ones for the lights?

Thanks for posting the link for the JIS impact driver bits, I am about to tear down a GS650 parts bike and they'll be just what the Doctor ordered to complete the task 🛠. Their JIS screw drivers are the best and VERY reasonably priced at about $30 CND.
      GS550T 1981
      GS850G 1983
      GS650G 1982
      GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

the gofast impact driver bit set is very good. Long and short bits and several sizes....They need a small socket though so you'll need adapter to use them on the larger impact drivers. But you can use them in the common multidriver sets too...

the thing about allen screws is you want to get the right steel-not brittle not weak ...Love em or hate em the original JIS casing screws were pretty rugged except when the wrong screw driver is applied to ruin their heads. Myself, I wouldn't use stainless if only because it's a mismatch electrolytically.

Comment

subscribed

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              Myself, I wouldn't use stainless if only because it's a mismatch electrolytically.
              That's why there is copper anti-seize.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Yes, those are some good JIS drivers. However, with your location, do you have Pozi-Driv fasteners? Those will work well, too.

Allen-had bolts (more-correctly called socket head bolts) are available for just about anything. Find a hardware supplier in your area to see what they have to offer. I get most of my hardware from Bolt Depot. Not sure what their shipping policy would be, but it won't hurt to contact them to see if they will ship to you.

I have been ordering from stainlesscycle.com, they seem pretty decent. I prefer ebay because the global shipping thing does the VAT thing so I dont get that stupid $35 fee. Just got the ones for the carbs now. I couldnt get the carbs out tonight, I could swear I did it once without removing the airbox or gas tank, but it didn't seem possible to remove with the airbox in place.

I decided to get OEM brake rotor bolts and fold-around-metal-things instead of stainless. I might change them but I am not sure...

We do have pozi-drive bits, can I just throw some of them in an impact driver and get those stupid intake boots off? Then I can tick off replacing those o-rings too (I have all the o-rings for the carb and intake boots). And get them replaced with ikea-bolts. Ive been using cermic paste on everything as anti-seize so Ill put some of that on them too. Can I use a rubber mallet to hit the impact driver?
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                  Can I use a rubber mallet to hit the impact driver?
                  That may not be hard enough. I just recently read you should use a ball-peen (ball pein?) hammer because the metal is different (don’t remember in which way) than a claw hammer and won’t tend to knock the chrome off the butt if the impact driver handle. Don’t know if it’s true. Seems legit.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

What does JIS mean/ stand for ?

Comment

Google is your friend.

Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200