New Seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Seat?

I rode most of the Fourth and my ass is still feeling it. The seat cover is in good shape but the foam is just worn out; it's still there but when I sit on it, it just flattens right out. See below for a picture of the style on my bike (not mine but looks the same, my seat cover is in better shape). I've found a few used seats (that pic is from one on eBay) but I'd rather find something newer with better cushioning. I can't seem to find anything except those stupid looking (what are they, an inch of foam???) cafe racer seats; can't imagine those would be any more comfortable than what I have now! Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them!

1978 Suzuki GS550
    Attached Files

One bikes that old your only choice is getting the one you have restuffed. You could do that yourself with carpet underlayment, yoga mat etc and carve it with an electric knife, use the cover you have to check the fitment.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

As much as I like a double-bucket styled seat, THAT one looks very uncomfortable.

A stock seat would be better, then you could probably find a cover at Pit Replica that would match the original.

A flatter stock seat will also give you a bit of "wiggle around" room for when your riding style might dictate a change. If you ride solo and attack the corners a bit more "vigorously", it's easier to shift around on a flatter seat. The double-bucket is for those of us who are not quite so active in our riding, and usually are a bit more upright and usually behind a windshield of some sort. Having a larger contact area does prevent movement, but it also spreads the load, which eliminates the need to squirm around to relieve pressure points.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X