Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning story: Battery was great yesterday... now dead

Hi there everyone,

Woke up this morning to a dead battery after a great ride last night. First summer with my 83 GS750E and she's been great so far, although if she doesn't get her service as she likes it, she lets me know!

Parked the bike as the sun was coming down and covered it after 10 minutes. Took the cover off this morning to NO electrical. Was unsure what was going on. Checked the juice in the battery...totally dead! Charged it up and bike works clean again. This had me thinking: Great! But why did it die?

Sorted the issue... and feel brutal posting but hoping the same mistake doesn't happen to others.

It's an older bike... and the letters on the ignition switch (key) have faded off over time. Realized after I hooked up the voltometer to the negative terminal (checking for any battery drain when the key is "off") that when I turned the key all the way to the RIGHT, it would lock the bars (like it did turning it to the left: LOCK position) but ALSO drain some battery.

Where?
    Following the wiring diagram, it goes to the tail light...as this is the PARK option. And it keeps your tail light on for others to see you. ...Drained my own battery. Bet it was a sweet red glow though.

Summary.
    On GS750E - Turn full left for LOCK, Middle left is OFF, Middle right is ON and far right is PARK. Park sends some battery power to tail light. Don't leave on or battery will drain.

To all my other fellow GS newbies, I hope we can post our learning stories so the next person can do some learning via reading rather than a day in the shop worried about their sweet ride.

Sending my best.
    I appreciate the knowledge in these forums!

Welcome 90'son. 83 750 E, pretty nice bikes, congrats.Let's start by pok'in a little fun. How often do you turn any engine off by turning the ign. (key) to the right? Suzuki never thought nobody would ever accidently turn the parking light on (to the right) while turning the eng. off. (to the left). A little something else to remember, When re-fueling, always be sure you turn the pet cock to "ON". If you forget & leave it in the "RES" position, when it runs out, you will be "OUT", then you get to use the "PRI" position after you get back from walking to get more fuel !!! Won't be fair to ask me how I found out.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by 90'son-80'rider View Post
      Hi there everyone,

Woke up this morning to a dead battery after a great ride last night. First summer with my 83 GS750E and she's been great so far, although if she doesn't get her service as she likes it, she lets me know!

Parked the bike as the sun was coming down and covered it after 10 minutes. Took the cover off this morning to NO electrical. Was unsure what was going on. Checked the juice in the battery...totally dead! Charged it up and bike works clean again. This had me thinking: Great! But why did it die?

Sorted the issue... and feel brutal posting but hoping the same mistake doesn't happen to others.

It's an older bike... and the letters on the ignition switch (key) have faded off over time. Realized after I hooked up the voltometer to the negative terminal (checking for any battery drain when the key is "off") that when I turned the key all the way to the RIGHT, it would lock the bars (like it did turning it to the left: LOCK position) but ALSO drain some battery.

Where?
      Following the wiring diagram, it goes to the tail light...as this is the PARK option. And it keeps your tail light on for others to see you. ...Drained my own battery. Bet it was a sweet red glow though.

Summary.
      On GS750E - Turn full left for LOCK, Middle left is OFF, Middle right is ON and far right is PARK. Park sends some battery power to tail light. Don't leave on or battery will drain.

To all my other fellow GS newbies, I hope we can post our learning stories so the next person can do some learning via reading rather than a day in the shop worried about their sweet ride.

Sending my best.
      I appreciate the knowledge in these forums!
      well you found out the problem, you won't be the first and you won't be the last to do that😀
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Working...
      X