1982 GS850L- Cluthc is Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850L- Cluthc is Out!

So tonite I was heading home, and taking off from a stop and the clutch crapped out. I've been looking to see what's out there, and I see clutches listed for sale where it's just the cork plates with steel plates. Can I reuse the steel plates if I clean them up or should but a kit with both sets of plates? I am also going to get new springs. Thanks in advance......

That's cork plates withOUT steel plates.......

Comment

Cork?!? That can't be right. Fiberglass, or metal fibers, or something. Surely not the stuff on my bulletin board?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

First. It is possible to go back and edit you posts to correct something that you meant to say but typed wrong.

Opinions:
        On the clutch plates: The drive, or Friction plates have a material on them that resembles cork, maybe actually is cork, idk. These should be replaced as a set if they are beyond their service limit or have become glazed and are sticking to the steel driven plates. When I recently replace my friction plates, I found OEM plates on ebay for much cheaper that any of the parts dealers had them. The steel plates can be dressed up with a scotchbrite pad, don't get aggressive, just scuff em up and re-use as long as they lay flat and are within the service limit. Service Manuals have these service limits.

These steel plates are stamped steel, so have a rounded edge and a square edge from the stamping. It's hard to find a consensus for installing these, flat side in, or out. I think it may be more important that they're all facing the same way. Soak your new friction plates in engine oil for a while (hours?) before reinstalling. I also replaced all 6 springs with OEM, even though they measured within the limits. They are cheap. And I think it helped.

Make sure you're using a 10-40 oil that is MA or MA2 rated. Others will suggest Rotella something or other, but most will agree that plain automotive oil is no good for wet clutches. Something about the zinc content. There's a whole lot of oil threads in the archives. I don't want to start a debate here.

You'll also want to check the clutch basket slots where the friction plate claws ride for excessive grooving. If found, those should be addressed to ensure smooth movement of the plates in and out with activation of the lever.

Again, just my opinions.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

If the metal plates haven't been overheated (they'll be blue or black) and they are flat (lay them on a flat surface), you can re-use them.
          Having said that, I have also re-used metals that were a little discolored when I was short on cash or time. I took a sheet of fine sand paper, laid I'd on a flat surface, and lightly moved the metals over it in a circular motion. However, it's prob best to replace them.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I didn't think of looking on Ebay, I'll give them a try. This occurred last night so I haven't had a chance to take it apart and check it out. As for the type of oil, I've been using Rotella 15-40 in it and haven't noticed any problems with it so far.

Comment

Clutch crapped out. Just quit pulling? started slipping really bad? Had it been slipping then got worse? Did it make a lot of racket when it "crapped"? Seems odd everything was fine then just crapped out, unless something came loose. Good chance something other than the plates. Just my opinion.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yeah, rphillips it just quit. I stopped at a stop sign, I put it in first and let out the clutch and nothing. There was no pop or bang. I could feel the bike wanting to roll but basically nothing. I got it apart yesterday and checked things out. From what I can tell, there was no chunks of metal in the case, and when I took the clutches out and spun the side that attached to the transmission (I had it in 2nd gear) I didn't hear any clunking and seems to be solid. The steel plates looked really good, and on the other plates there's still clutch material on them, but I'm not sure if they're worn out or not. I'll take a picture of them and put it in here.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Sounding like the clutch may be okay.
                  I see it is a GL. Maybe a drive shaft issue? Although you would have heard some cruching/racket from the rear end.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Isn't 82 the bad year for final drive gears?
                    How free is the back wheel with the bike in gear?
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                      Isn't 82 the bad year for final drive gears?
                      How free is the back wheel with the bike in gear?
                      I'm guessing that's the problem. I have the same bike, and mine were the bad ones. I caught it before the gears wore all the way out, but they were almost there.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

@Houndawg76
                        This thread is a place to start. It's one of a number about the problem.

97 R1100R
                        Previous

Comment

Never heard of a bike clutch just quit pulling, with no warning. Sounds like something just broke. With bike on center stand, put it in 5th gear & see if you can hold the clutch hub still while turning the rear wheel. If splines, gears, or maybe u-joint, it should make a lot of racket. Anyone ever hear of a driveshaft breaking on a GS-G? Could explain not pulling & no racket.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            Never heard of a bike clutch just quit pulling, with no warning. Sounds like something just broke. With bike on center stand, put it in 5th gear & see if you can hold the clutch hub still while turning the rear wheel. If splines, gears, or maybe u-joint, it should make a lot of racket. Anyone ever hear of a driveshaft breaking on a GS-G? Could explain not pulling & no racket.
                            Have a look at the first post in the thread linked below.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous

Comment

I's writing when he was posting that thread, very interesting. Problems very similar. I've never had a hub go bad, I've only had 4 shaft drive bikes, & no problems with them. I would have thought it would make a noticeable racket & vibration when the splines started jumping over each other, but from the Admiral Beez's post, I guess they don't. This ain't the first time I've been broadcasting when I should have been tuning in. Good stuff to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X