Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Motoworks Gingerman Track Day, Monday Aug, 10th

gbw is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by greg78gs750 View Post
    I've been looking at SV650's as a replacement for the ES.....
    I've got a buddy up in DC that's selling a really nice Street Triple if that's something you're interested in. He goes back and forth between DC and Chicago a lot. He might even ride it out there for you

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5282179492115/
    Current: 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

ooohh, that is a nice looking bike.....thanks for the tip!
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Looks like fun as usual...

And as usual Greg - I think you doth protest too much...

I just got an F800GS to "look after" for a while... some modern bells & whistles in the garage for a change!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Man, I'm envious! Turns out, I could've done this one (though, there was no way to know in advance), because our school corporation delayed the start one week due to COVID. I'd really love to try a track day some time. For now, I'll just live vicariously through you all.
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/4802_575940144494_32311289_33696392_4482768_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gbw View Post
    My report: Dale, Neil, and I arrived Sunday evening, helped each other unload and setup our paddock. Johnny offered a BBQ supper, then we went on a track walk. The event organizer oriented us to the track, gave us pointers on the best lines, told us that no trophies would be awarded so we should have fun and be nice.

Early Monday morning, like 4am, started with a pretty good thunderstorm. Everything was wet when we arrived at the track. But the sun came out and everything was pretty dry by the time we got the bikes out for our first session. The track was dry and grippy all day and there wasn't any more ill weather until after we'd packed up for the day and were down the road eating dinner. Then a wicked storm came though to round out our day.

There were a total of about 60 riders at the event divided into 3 groups. We were in the intermediate group and it was small enough that it was like having the track to ourselves. In fact, I made it a point to try to find and empty place to enter the track and most of the day I was riding around a race track all alone. It was wonderful. Then every now and then Dale or Neil, or both, would blast past me. Man those guys are fast!

Neil has a new-to-him CBR 600 and it's a real weapon. Dale had, as far as I could tell, the only vintage bike in the entire paddock. He was also one of the best riders on the track. He put many very expensive motorcycles to shame. Several times rider coaches came to our paddock to marvel at Dale and the amazing GS, giving both praise. At one point Dale asked a coach how he could go around the track faster. Like, could he hang off farther, or lean further, or take a different line, or something. The coach told him: NO. You're riding that bike at 10/10ths. There is no way for you to ride that bike any faster around this track. In fact, you're at the limit and you should slow down in the corners a little. After that I saw Dale eye Neil's bike with more than a little jealously.

We all rode every session without issue and all had a blast. We packed up after the last session, tired and sweaty, then went to dinner. Neil headed home, Dale and I retired to the Holiday Inn Express, and that was all she wrote. All in all a wonderful day and I can't wait until next year.

My pictures: I only took a few. But we'll post some of the professional pictures of us on the track in a few weeks when they're published. You can then marvel at Neil's and Dale's amazingness, and openly mock my lack of skill, form, and speed.
    My video: What kind of operation do you think this is?
    One nitpick: Johnny sponsored lunch on Monday, but I think Sunday evening was provided by Shiny Side Up.

You shot a video? I didn't see that! Also, I can't see it now, 'cuz there's no link.

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    Haha I hope Dale didn't use up all his motorcycle. He needs it for a few more rallies! At least he had the touring package off the bike. That's funny "Nope your at 10 out of 10! 
    Neil said I should leave the bags on next year, to maximize embarrassment of people who spend money beyond their skills.

I did use the bike up a little bit though. For the first time ever, I scraped the foot peg, and hard. There might even be a new mark on the case guard. It was early in the day, and I was a bit lazy with the body position. Especially since the first session looked a tiny bit damp and nobody was pushing hard yet. I touched toes several times through the day and started hanging off by more than one cheek and trying to keep my upper body low and parallel. This had me thinking I was finally progressing beyond what I can do on the GS, and the riding coach at the end of the day cemented it for me. On his advice, I backed off a notch and focused on smoothness. They also showed me some new lines through 2, 3 and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by greg78gs750 View Post
    Yeah, chasing Dale can be a frustrating exercise..... Glad you guys had a good day, I really missed being there. Very nice that attendance was down a bit, not that it is ever THAT busy, but a few less bikes on the track isn't a bad thing.... NEXT YEAR FOR SURE (lol), I've been looking at SV650's as a replacement for the ES.....
    I missed having you and the ES there this year. I don't know if you have a way to connect with Neil, but he basically just got rid of an SV (SFV) for the Honda 600RR. It might be worth collecting his thoughts on that.

Quote Originally Posted by oramac View Post
    Man, I'm envious! Turns out, I could've done this one (though, there was no way to know in advance), because our school corporation delayed the start one week due to COVID. I'd really love to try a track day some time. For now, I'll just live vicariously through you all.
    I hope you can make it someday. This event would be pretty much perfect for you. Everyone tells me it's more relaxed than ordinary track days, and there's a minimum of stupidity from other riders. Also, fewer on track.

I don't think I had the only vintage bike there. There was a red BMW shafty that looked like it was from the late 80's or early 90's. We were about matched for power, and I didn't have much if anything on him in the corners. Not early in the day, anyhow. I didn't see him after the first couple sessions.

Early Saturday afternoon, while I was taking the luggage off and generally getting ready, I had to make a last-minute addition to the bike. Very annoying . This tire had less than 1000 miles on it. Honestly, I was more concerned about what scrutineers would say. Totally by accident, I gave them something else to fuss about. I almost always forget to tape the side reflectors and LED brake lights. I'll keep an eye on pressures as usual anyway. If it holds air as well as the nail did (perfectly well), I will be fully satisfied.

It's not so visible on-screen, but in person the edge of the tire is very definitely blue.

I don't think there were any accidents this year. Definitely not in our group. Three might have been one or maybe two in the advanced group.

Another tradition we broke was ice cream at Sherman's. In addiction to COVID concerns with that crowd, there was a monster storm coming. So we had dinner at Three Blondes. Good stuff.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

heh, I put a nail through an almost new roadrider a week before last years track day, so I feel ya....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    You shot a video? I didn't see that! Also, I can't see it now, 'cuz there's no link.
    Nope. No link. No video. I barely took any pictures.

No link? No video? No pictures?

What was the point of going there?

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    No link? No video? No pictures?

What was the point of going there?

Ha! Riding fast and shifting a lot, of course!

They did have a pro photographer there. We should have actual pictures of us on the track to post in the few weeks.
    Last edited by gbw; 08-22-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Super Site Supporter

As promised, a few shots of us ripping around the track

IMG_0386 by Greg White, on Flickr

IMG_3598 by Greg White, on Flickr

IMG_3734 by Greg White, on Flickr

IMG_3768 by Greg White, on Flickr

IMG_3652 by Greg White, on Flickr