Triumph Speed Twin 1200 compared to our old muscle bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph Speed Twin 1200 compared to our old muscle bikes

Not gonna pull the trigger this year BUT........If I replace my old reliable 83 1100E it would be with a brand new RETRO style ride. I have NEVER owned a brand new gas powered anything except for a push mower. If I go new it must: 1-Be faster- as fast- or almost as fast (accelerating) as my 1100E. 2. The engine must be high visibilty and be the visual centerpiece of the bike. Honda CB1100 elimnated because its too large and underpowered FOR ME. 88hp 540lbs. Hatley not a consideration because.....(Watch the SouthPark episode)So next is the Z900RS. One look says it all. 110hp 460lbs. Got the looks the price is nice for leftover 018 019 and the performance I can only imagine is exceeds my ld 1100E. Please remember Im comparing these new bikes to my 83 GS1100E. I know there are other newer bikes that make a world more power than the bikes I am referencing. Im only interested in retro new bikes. But the bike that REEEEALLLY gives me a "tingle in the dingle" is the Triumph Speed Twin 1200. The engine is beautiful. The bike is beautiful. Parallel twin 1200cc. Now the Triumph wont hang with the Z900 in the 1/4 mile BUT it is 96hp and 432lbs dry and makes 82 lbs of torque. I sat on the Z900RS and the Triumph Speed Twin. My God the Trriumph rings ALL the bells while the Kawasaki rings many of the bells. The Brit bike is much more costly. About $2-$3000 more. My riding is tootling around the local countryside. No interstate. I love to often crank the throttle and enjoy the G forces of my 1100. Already a long post so heres my question. Has anyone ridden the Speed Twin??? What was it like to crank that throttle and go thru the gears? How is the acceleration compared to the vintage greats- KZ1100 GS1100 CB1100 XS1100 ect..All the YT reviews verbally compare the Retros to other new street fighters and sport bikes which is wrong. I wanna know how the ACCELERATION compares to the great 1000 and 1100s of the pre liquid cooled era 1978-1983.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

[QUOTE=mharrington;2614116]?..Already a long post...[QUOTE]

If you'd hit the return (new paragraph) key occaisonally, it would be a lot easier on the reader's eyes.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

This member's got one and has posted extensively about it here...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...?18790-Jedz123
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Justin's got the regular Bonneville 1200, not the Speed Twin. Similar, but....
        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
        2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

It sure seems to be a pretty amazing bike.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I have the T120, so it has the "high torque" motor ;76hp stock vs the 88hp of the HP motors found in the Speed Twin and Thruxtons but it has all it's torque down low; 78 ftlbs at 3.1K RPM... The T120 is more purpose built and the power is on par of that of my old Suzuki GS750.

I have ridden the Speed Twin and led a demo day with one. I like the motor as it's very similar to mine but I prefer the power delivery of the T120 for at 3K RPM the bugger just launches you forward, so much torque on demand. I also have done allot of modifications to mine and I'm guessing I'm in the low to mid 80 hp range as my Modded T120 will keep up easily with a standard Speed Twin. I also lay big miles down and the ability to bolt on luggage and lug the HT engine is awesome...

I will be rolling the Bonneville over to 62K miles today, 2 years old and I did have a speckled first year with it. Triumph backed the product and I strongly recommend buying new and try shaking out the issues you may encounter the first couple of years. I also strongly recommend getting cruise control out of the gate. Game changer...

All in all it's been a phenomenal motorcycle in which when it's commission is up I intent to keep it. The new Triumph water-cooled 1200 twins are exceptional engines, full of personality... After riding my T120 I can honestly say I can't ever see myself buying a flat plane 4 cylinder again. The Cross plane I-2 is so perky and has such personality that the drone is done for me.

If you have any q's send me a PM or address here!

Best,
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks Jedz. First hand accounts are what I want to hear! Now you referenced the Speed twin at 88hp? Im seeing 96. You mean 88 hp at the rear wheel? Im seroius about buying a new Speed twin after I pay pay off some debt ... And the economy gets thru this covid crap. I simply must have a new bike that has similar acceleration as my 83 1100E. Does not have to beat my GS but for example- I cannot do the big Honda CB retro as the power isnt there. And its really heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                Thanks Jedz. First hand accounts are what I want to hear! Now you referenced the Speed twin at 88hp? Im seeing 96. You mean 88 hp at the rear wheel? Im seroius about buying a new Speed twin after I pay pay off some debt ... And the economy gets thru this covid crap. I simply must have a new bike that has similar acceleration as my 83 1100E. Does not have to beat my GS but for example- I cannot do the big Honda CB retro as the power isnt there. And its really heavy.
                The Twin isn't going to give you that freight train pull you'll expect from the GS's I-4 however you'll notice the bike is just as quick due to the decrease in weight and you'll love the absolute versatility of the 1200cc twin in the Twisties.

Here is the stock Dyno of the Thruxty that uses the same engine as the Speed Twin:

Yeah the that torque curve... Like a Kitchen Table flat.

Stock T120 for reference:

This is a bike with similar mods to mine... More torque down low, less up high but the motors are different...

These motors offer allot of character and versatility but they aren't class performers these days... Damn good engines though. Love mine...

Best,
                Last edited by Jedz123; 07-13-2020, 12:32 PM.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks Jedz! Real info. Id love to ride one but will not request a test ride at the dealer until Im actually ready to buy. I think the proper comparisons of these retros is to other new true retros and to the old bikes they are built to pay homage to. The MT 09 and 10 are 2 examples of standard ride position bikes that are superior and cheaper than the Triumph but us older doods like the looks of the Triumphs. Takes me back to being a kid/young adult in the 1970s/80s sitting on new bikes at the dealer.

Comment

Looks like those engines die out at 6500 RPM.
                    The GS1100E just getting on the cam at that RPM. After a few bolt on mods add 10-15% more power.
                    So, buy the Triumph and sell the 1100E to somebody like me.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I lead the Demo rides here for Triumph Vermont. We unfortunately aren't doing events this year due to COVID-19. Love my dealer, I would try to get in with yours, they will offer demo rides with no strings attached. Triumph wants people to try these bikes out!

The Bike is a Modern motorcycle through and through but the fit and finish is worlds ahead of the plastic laced bikes that most of the Japanese motorcycles are covered in these days. The VMAX is by far the most detailed in fit and finish I have ever owned in a Japanese offering.

The Old UJM were all made of metal and were just motorcycles at the end of the day. Even comparing the Z900RS and XSR900 to a Triumph Bonneville variant is not the same in fit and finish. The triumph 1200cc bikes are all modern, sporting; a 6th gear, Kehin Throttle by wire Fuel injection, ABS, TCS, Wheelie Control and heated grips (standard). They are fully modern but have metal fenders, quality rims, brushed aluminium gauge housings, etc...

My T120 will be cresting 100K miles by this time next year and the next bike will be a Japanese bike likely one I can easily trade in for something similar and keep putting miles on, I just don't have the heart to get rid of my beautiful and functional Triumph...

Best,
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 07-14-2020, 01:25 PM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        Looks like those engines die out at 6500 RPM.
                        The GS1100E just getting on the cam at that RPM. After a few bolt on mods add 10-15% more power.
                        So, buy the Triumph and sell the 1100E to somebody like me.
                        Yea Bill the power delivery is not the same as my TSCC 1100. A parallel twin cannot be an inline four but The triumph has enough power to not disappoint compared to my old GS. An example of disappointing power in a new retro would be that CB1100 Honda at only 88hp and 550lbs plus girth. I believe by spring of 2021 I may be ready to buy a Triumph. Get some CCs paid off and get thru this economy destroying Covid year of 2020.

Comment

Truth is, I find it hard to enjoy a powerful, high rpm bike on public roads and highways, because it exceeds legal speed in 2nd gear already.
                          Getting over 450 lb and it can be hard to move around or save from falling beyond it's tipping point.
                          A bike with as much low RPM torque as described by Jedz would be easier to live with if it only had 4 gears, not more than 5.
                          6 gears are for low torque engines having to be kept up in their power range. Plus all that shifting gets annoying, particularly up thru 1, 2 and 3.
                          PS: Did I see you last summer on your 1100E visiting the AHRMA races at Gingerman? I rode my 1100G up there, walked around and chatted with the racers.
                          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-15-2020, 07:25 AM.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                            Yea Bill the power delivery is not the same as my TSCC 1100. A parallel twin cannot be an inline four but The triumph has enough power to not disappoint compared to my old GS. An example of disappointing power in a new retro would be that CB1100 Honda at only 88hp and 550lbs plus girth. I believe by spring of 2021 I may be ready to buy a Triumph. Get some CCs paid off and get thru this economy destroying Covid year of 2020.
                            Comparing plums to watermelons... I can honestly say the 10K mile oil changes are nice, (back on them) and 20K mile valve intervals we are also nice! Sure the Suzuki "makes more power" but they are not modern and in my experience you are constantly working on SOMETHING... I broke my first 20K miles season as soon as I bought my Bandit 1200 and kept the GS for the "weekend" rider. the 1200cc motor is a great motor. I went to a bike meet last night on the VMAX and a buddy of mine that rides a 1200 Scrambler and were discussing how the new 1200cc twin is probably the best motor we've seen in a motorcycle in along time. Sure there are always "faster bikes" but I'll take the (recent) trouble free miles my t120 refuses to step down from. I may hit 80K miles on the new girl by the end of the year! I would have never even gotten close to capturing those kind of miles with an old oil boiler GS.
                            It's not some low revving junker Bill, they move decently and I use all 6 speeds:
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 07-15-2020, 07:35 AM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Bill I was not at that event. In fact my riding is local countryside with beach /park stops. Occasional full throttle upshift blast but then slow down and hope I wasnt spotted by police. No long interstate travels. This demo bike is the type of deal Id pounce on. Just cannot right now but I really like the Black.
                              Buy a new or used motorcycle from our Motoworks Chicago dealership in Chicago, IL. We offer quality motorcycle service too. Contact us today!

Comment

Working...
                              X