Triumph Speed Twin 1200 compared to our old muscle bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
    Bill I was not at that event. In fact my riding is local countryside with beach /park stops. Occasional full throttle upshift blast but then slow down and hope I wasnt spotted by police. No long interstate travels. This demo bike is the type of deal Id pounce on. Just cannot right now but I really like the Black.
    https://www.motoworkschicago.com/--x...ail?id=6883697
    I love the Speed twin... I will likely never own one as I don't have the heart to get rid of the T120. I think everyone has that one bike you just absolutely love from your younger days (most GS's here), mine just so happens to be a 2018 Bonneville. Just crested my first half of my 30's and i know these are probably the best riding days of my life... I'm glad I'm riding the best motorcycle I've ever owned through them.

Cheers,
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Jedz, if you are as big a fan of the T120 as you seem to be, why wouldn't you replace it with another when you hit that 100K mark?
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

No Jedz, the best has yet to come... Wait till you ride the 2038 Motomax E45X With the Auto light steering, Mazamax transmission, with the Red Dot Power Chip. All riding on Zero Touch Wheels. Sure it will be fun to take the old Triumph out for a spin, if you have the money for the permit...
        Somehow the older we get the better motorcycles perform.
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Jedz, if you are as big a fan of the T120 as you seem to be, why wouldn't you replace it with another when you hit that 100K mark?
          I want to keep this bike, It's broken in to me, sentimental I could never see trading it in at this point... No point of owning 2 of the same bike.
          I also want a tracer 900GT in a bad way (or if Indian makes a sport tourer off that glorious FTR1200 platform)... maybe a tiger 900... Something that I won't get sentimental about and can just trade in after words for a cheap replacement (cough) like my old bikes; Bandit 1200, FZ1, Concours 14, B-king.
          I'm sure the T120 will see deep 6 figures by the time it says, screw you Jedz I'm dead, in my mind I romanticize we will both die together on a back road 30-40 years from now.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            No Jedz, the best has yet to come... Wait till you ride the 2038 Motomax E45X With the Auto light steering, Mazamax transmission, with the Red Dot Power Chip. All riding on Zero Touch Wheels. Sure it will be fun to take the old Triumph out for a spin, if you have the money for the permit...
            HAHA exactly, or if self operated anythings are still legal by that day of age
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              I want to keep this bike, It's broken in to me, sentimental I could never see trading it in at this point... No point of owning 2 of the same bike.
              I also want a tracer 900GT in a bad way (or if Indian makes a sport tourer off that glorious FTR1200 platform)... maybe a tiger 900... Something that I won't get sentimental about and can just trade in after words for a cheap replacement (cough) like my old bikes; Bandit 1200, FZ1, Concours 14, B-king.
              I'm sure the T120 will see deep 6 figures by the time it says, screw you Jedz I'm dead, in my mind I romanticize we will both die together on a back road 30-40 years from now.
              I like that a lot. Might you even see yourself rebuilding the motor at some point when it becomes necessary?
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                I like that a lot. Might you even see yourself rebuilding the motor at some point when it becomes necessary?
                If it becomes necessary, definitely! I've been in the engine a couple of times already. Super easy bike and engine to work around. Simple SOHC design, although I imagine it will just run and run and run as long as I treat it OK and stay on-top of maintenance.
                This one has weaseled itself into the family. Also my wife LOVES it and it has become ingrained into our family imagery.

best,
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

[QUOTE=mharrington;2614635]Bill I was not at that event. In fact my riding is local countryside with beach /park stops. Occasional full throttle upshift blast but then slow down and hope I wasnt spotted by police. No long interstate travels. This demo bike is the type of deal Id pounce on. Just cannot right now but I really like the Black."

Back before I bought my GS1100G I fell in love with the Triumph Thunderbird Sport, 3 cylinders:
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    HA!!!!
                    Yeah, I really want analog forever.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

[QUOTE=Buffalo Bill;2614662]
                      Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                      Back before I bought my GS1100G I fell in love with the Triumph Thunderbird Sport, 3 cylinders:
                      By far, my favorite of that iteration of Triumphs.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                      X