Starter started spinnin free ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter started spinnin free ...

Any ideas, anyone? My first guess is all the crashing into gear dislodged a bearing? Haven't looked yet

Your starter motor is spinning but the motor is not turning over?
    Could be that the starter clutch is not doing what it's supposed to do?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Your starter motor is spinning but the motor is not turning over?
      Could be that the starter clutch is not doing what it's supposed to do?
      Could be, it's still cooling down, haven't dug in yet

Comment

Randy, tell us what bike you’re working on: year and model, please. It’s a good idea to add that info to a signature. Get there through settings at the top right of the page.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Is the motor dragging the starter when running?
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Is the motor dragging the starter when running?
            1979 GS850. It's a bike with jokes ... a hot ride, and it spun free. Sat in my driveway for 4 hrs, started without issue ... smh ..

Comment

Doesn't sound good, got to be the starter clutch. I've seen the bolts get loose, I'd check before something bad happens. You can use the kick starter, but the innards of the starter clutch still has vibration & movement. Just my opinion.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Doesn't sound good, got to be the starter clutch. I've seen the bolts get loose, I'd check before something bad happens. You can use the kick starter, but the innards of the starter clutch still has vibration & movement. Just my opinion.
                I didn't know it had a clutch, I pictured a ratchet type system. Thank you, I'll look at it.

Comment

I own an 83' GS1100ESD that I purchased New in April of 1983, yesterday (Aug, 11th 2020) I went for a half hour ride and noticed some unusual Intermittent Noise, upon leaving my destination the Starter Just Spins Freely, Push Started it (Noise now Gone) & rode it Home, Drained the Oil, Removed the Left Side Cover and found the the One Way Sprag Clutch had Failed (I'm assuming that the "Friction Pad Material" gone away. The Starter Clutch Part Number is: 12600-49865 - CLUTCH SET . I'm having difficulty locating one of these and finding that it may no longer be available (NLA). Has anyone tried to have the friction Pads reconditioned by possibly a company that makes or restores Automatic Transmission Friction Bands etc... Or does anyone have a line on a Motorcycle Salvage Yard that may have a Good Used Starter Clutch Available? I spoke to My Local Suzuki Dealer yesterday and was in formed that no Dealership nor Suzuki show as having Stock of this Part. Any Suggestions welcome.
                  Thanks in advance, F B Randy E. Mueller AKA randog311
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2020, 02:32 PM. Reason: Add Photo or zv

Comment

There are no pad material. The starter clutch works off 3 steel rollers & 3 springs that kind'f roll & lock against the a hub that is attached to the crankshaft. Try looking at the parts fische pictures.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thank You, That's what I originally envisioned, The illustration on Partzilla made it look to me like there are 3 Friction pads the the Rollers apply Pressure too. I haven't yet removed the Rotor. I was hoping to just replace the complete assembly. You've given me hope that if I can't find the complete assembly New, that I may still be able to purchase the Springs and Rollers? A Used assembly still isn't out of the question either. Thanks again rphillips
                      BTW, Years ago I was a Member of this Site and apparently I was Purged due to lack of activity...
                      Later, randog311

Comment

You'll need to purchase or borrow the rotor puller that threads onto rotor for removal and access to the starter clutch.

A $40 dollar item from Motion Pro or an Ebay seller.

I believe that bike has a big taper rotor as some earlier 1100 models have a smaller one, but don't trust my memory.

You can get some 12-9 8mm allen head bolts at most hardware stores.

Not sure what it's called, but the big gear behind the starter clutch has an area where the 3 rollers roll on, if that's all scuffed up (deep ridges),

probably a good idea to buy the whole starter clutch assembly at about $150-75ish.

A stator/rotor cover gasket might be a good idea to get too.

After 8 or so starter clutch failures on my end, I find slicing the gasket at 2 oclock NE of rubber grommet housing the 3 stator wires makes reassembly much easier.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Thanks, Randog, I found a rebuild set on E-Bay, haven't fiddled with it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            There are no pad material. The starter clutch works off 3 steel rollers & 3 springs that kind'f roll & lock against the a hub that is attached to the crankshaft. Try looking at the parts fische pictures.
                            Thanks, sir!

Comment

I've seen a couple different problems with the starter clutch causing it to spin freely.

The bolt holding the starter clutch tightly to the beveled end of the crankshaft has loosened, or

the starter clutch housing has cracked causing the rollers to not tighten onto the crankshaft end.
                              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                              82 gs1100L probably the next project
                              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Working...
                              X