Speedometer needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer needle

Yesterday the wife and I went out for a little ride. I made it about a mile or so down to the light and while we were sitting there I noticed half of my speedometer needle was gone. I looked over at my wife and pointed to it and said my needle is broke. It used to bounce now and then and make a whining sound. I can only assume that it had bounced so hard or spun around real fast that is snapped the needle in half. So my question is can I replace just the needle or am I going to have to get creative and try to make one?
    Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
    2017 Indian Scout
    2006 Suzuki C50

I successfully removed and replaced a broken speedo needle recently, but it was nerve wracking....

I used two paint can lid removing tools. I am sure somewhere in the world there is a little tiny puller, but I didn't have one.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have successfully replaced a needle from an old broken unit that I picked up from a friend. I have also accidentally broken a needle trying to remove it. It is painstaking. I used a small fork, but I think Baatfam's suggestion is better. I don't know where you can buy replacement needles, but I have seen them available. Just can't remember where.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I just ended up gluing the broken piece back on. Hopefully it stays together. If it snaps again I'll trying something else. It's interesting that the speedometer doesn't have a direct mechanical link. It's moved via a magnetic field and a small coiled spring holds the tension on the actual needle. I wonder if that noise and bouncing is coming from that area instead of the cable. May be time for some testing...
        Current Bikes:

1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2017 Indian Scout
        2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

UPDATE: So the needle has held up nicely being glued together. Then the other day the speedometer quit working altogether right after leaving the house. I can't win with this thing...
          Last edited by nutz4spd; 08-19-2020, 02:00 PM.
          Current Bikes:

1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2017 Indian Scout
          2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

Working...
          X