Alternator rotor bolt is crazy hard to turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator rotor bolt is crazy hard to turn

I have a 79 GS750 and I'm currently in the process of tearing it down for (hopefully) a cafe project. I'm disassembling the engine and the bolt holding the alternator rotor on is super tough, trying to see if this is normal or if I'm destroying something.

The bolt is super hard to move, even with a large breaker bar it's taking quite a lot of effort to turn. I have it backed out between a half and three quarters of an inch and the resistance is still super heavy. I finally stopped when it made a strange creaking noise while turning. I'd love to hear it's just on with a ton of thread locker, but wanted to make sure I'm not breaking anything stupid or shearing the damned thing.

I have a manual and it doesn't mention anything about this bolt being crazy, so I'm getting worried. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Don't have an answer, but I do have a question.

Why are you tearing the motor down?
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Like Bob mentioned, unless somethings wrong with your starter clutch on the back side of the rotor, or you’re splitting the cases, why would you need to take the rotor off?

Anyway, I’m sure it’s covered in the Service Manual. You can download one at BikeCliffs Website.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Not clear how you are holding rotor while the breaker bar has a go at nut....but I would just get an impact wrench to remove the nut, then get a rotor puller to “slide” the rotor off the crank. The right tool will cost maybe $20.....avoid banging on rotor.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Use an impact. It's loctited in. And you loctited it when you reinstall it or it will come loose
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

try to turn it back a bit, crushing and spread any junk caught in the threads that way.
            Use WD40 to help lubricate and wash clean the thread.
            Hopefully that makes it turn easier.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I have a 650E that I'm stripping the motor down for a full rebuild and cleaning. My plan wass to hit it with the impact gun. Would like to knnow if this is reverse thread or not. I'm leaning towards not, given how the wrench and special tool are shown in the picture of my service manual.

Comment

It’s a standard right hand metric thread. After you remove this bolt, you’ll need a 16 mm to thread into rotor itself and push the rotor off the crankshaft ....impact tool is a must.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The bolt is long enough that there is a substantial portion of thread sitting exposed inside the hollow crank end. If it's loctited all the way down the thread, once in, the loctite sets on the exposed thread and can be a right pain to get out through the threaded hole.There's no way to get any WD40 or similar into the end cavity so it's just simple persistence and poassibly a little heat.An impact gun does help.When re-installing, only put loctite on about half the thread - at the head end of the bolt. This is the end that actually does the work.

Comment

Working...
                  X