Bad Vibrations at 5000RPM+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Vibrations at 5000RPM+

I have a 1981 GS650GL that is suspiciously vibration prone. This is my first bike so I am a little unsure as to what would be considered normal vibrations, but starting at about 5000 rpm the vibration gets so bad I can’t see out of the mirrors and makes my hands tingle. Basically I can’t rev it past 5200 rpm without it being unrideable which limits me to about 60 mph.

If anyone has experienced this or can point me in the right direction that’d be great. Thanks!

What maintenance have you Done?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Start with checking all your engine mount bolts are there and tight!
      Do not ride this bike until you have a better idea of what the issue is.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I have changed fluids, lubed cables, and replaced tires and wheel bearings. The vibration is still present even when the bike is reved in neutral while stationary so I figured the source wasn’t the wheel assemblies.

Comment

That rules out everything but the engine.

If you're lucky the engine is loose like John said to check.
          The clutch hub may be loose.

Other than that, you're in for engine check.
          Compression, valve timing, ignition, carb cleaning and sync, etc.

Now the mirrors will shake, that does not sound bad.
          But not much is able to create a vibration that limits you to 5200 RPM but serious trouble usually. If you can, post a Youtube movie of the shaker, we may be able to comment.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

I’ll check the mount bolts today and edit this post. The bike has 7400 miles on it so it’s basically time to do a valve check (7500m), I’ll start there if the bolts don’t solve the issue. What does it take to check out the clutch hub and tighten it? The bike has a whine that is only present when increasing the throttle. (If I throttle down or coast, it disappears) It increases in pitch with RPM regardless of gear. Could this be a engine/clutch related issue as well?

Comment

Originally posted by embrnick View Post
              The bike has a whine that is only present when increasing the throttle. (If I throttle down or coast, it disappears) It increases in pitch with RPM regardless of gear. Could this be a engine/clutch related issue as well?
              Probably normal cam chain singing. You should post a video of both issues to give us idea of what you're talking about.
              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Get to 60+ mph ,then pull in clutch and let engine revs fall and coast....is vibration still present? If yes, does in sound different?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

5000rpm is right in the band of secondary vibes from the four cylinder engines of the day. Once you get the ignition, carbs set up properly (and make sure you're getting proper voltage to both coils), the vibes will reduce.
                  More modern engines don't have the same level of secondary vibes that these older ones do - better design internally and a lot of attention was paid to make sure they didn't do it, or if they did, it was minimal.
                  If everything is set up properly, the GS engines can run very smoothly but you will never totally get rid of the slight secondary vibe patch - otoh, it's a useful diagnostic tool when you get more acquainted with your bike. Any change in its characteristics will alert you to something going slightly off-tune.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

UPDATE

So upon going through the motor mounts I noticed that one refused to stop spinning. I linked a picture of the nut and bolt below.
                    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like nickembray.

My bike has highway bars on it, which I have come to the conclusion were a post-factory addition based on two reasons. First, google shows no bars in the old ads. Two, if you can't tell from the picture, the jabroni that added these cranked a fine threaded bolt through the coarse threaded nut until it stripped. Looks like the same bolts are on the other side as well, although those aren't stripped out yet. Tomorrow I will try to re-thread the jam nut and find the correct bolt. Hopefully this lessens the buzz. If anyone knows the recommended torque spec for the mounts it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton everybody that has replied so far; I'll update again after I get it back together.

Comment

Yep, that's been well and truly stripped. A mounting like that will amplify the effect of the secondary vibes to make them feel as if there's something seriously wrong. The oval nut can be replaced by a simple ordinary nut with a tab welded on to it - I had to do it with one of mine.
                      Be very careful of the length of bolt you use in that location - a few mm too long and you punch a hole in the side of the crankcase. Just long enough to get it tight and only just protrude through the nut.

A common blooper is to remove the crash bars and re-use the bolts that held them on - they're now too long... cracked crankcase.
                      Last edited by Grimly; 07-19-2020, 10:27 PM.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My plan is to pull them all and replace them, even those that have yet to strip out. I wonder if the other mounts are tight enough; maybe after the previous owner stripped one they took it easy on the rest.

Another question: Should there be threads in the hole that goes through the actual motor mount? (Bolt --> HBar --> Frame -->Block --> Nut) I can't tell if there were threads and they're just stripped completely off, or if it was originally just a non-threaded hole that has some wear from the bolt. If its supposed to be threaded it's looking like helicoil time...

Apologies if that's too poor of a description.

Comment

Originally posted by embrnick View Post
                          My plan is to pull them all and replace them, even those that have yet to strip out. I wonder if the other mounts are tight enough; maybe after the previous owner stripped one they took it easy on the rest.

Another question: Should there be threads in the hole that goes through the actual motor mount? (Bolt --> HBar --> Frame -->Block --> Nut) I can't tell if there were threads and they're just stripped completely off, or if it was originally just a non-threaded hole that has some wear from the bolt. If its supposed to be threaded it's looking like helicoil time...

Apologies if that's too poor of a description.
                          if it is the mount I think you are talking about, no, there are no threads until you get to the nut on the other side. This applies to either of 30 or 31 in this fiche:

Or are you talking about something in the frame?

Another picture would help.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            This applies to either of 30 or 31 in this fiche:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...650g/crankcase
                            The bolt I pulled out was #33. Should there be no threads where that bolt passes through until the oblong nut, or should the hole be threaded through the crankcase? I’ll try and upload more pictures later.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

The oblong part is the nut
                              Be very careful on the bolt length there, too long and it punches a hole in your crankcase
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X