Need storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need storage

I have a 1982 gs850glz and I’m looking for some sort of extra storage, just seeing if anyone has any recommendations.

What kind of storage are you talking about? On the bike to carry things securely and full-time?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

How much do you need? and do you have a pillion rider?

I have had great success with a rubber thing in a plastic square. Three rubber bands, with hooks stuck together in the middle by a plastic thing. Attaches a duffel bag well. Also cargo nets with hooks are brilliant.

Magnetic tank bags can also be great, if you have less stuff. Like:

Getting permanent bags and a rack has been a futile endevure for me. Luckily the missus doesn't want to ride with me, so I get by with my net and my rubber spider, and ratchet straps. I prefer the week rubber kinds though, I feel the ratchet straps, if they fall off, could lock the wheel and kill me.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
        I prefer the week rubber kinds though, I feel the ratchet straps, if they fall off, could lock the wheel and kill me.
        Rubber bungee straps (with the hook on each end) are fairly traditional and when they fall off even if they get caught in the wheel are unlikely to cause a serious problem. Note, I say 'unlikely' not 'impossible'.
        Otoh, the narrow nylon webbing type of ratchet straps sold in Lidl for securing loads to roof-racks and trailers, have no place on a motorcycle. If one of those gets tangled with a wheel, it would be very bad news indeed.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Rubber bungee straps (with the hook on each end) are fairly traditional and when they fall off even if they get caught in the wheel are unlikely to cause a serious problem. Note, I say 'unlikely' not 'impossible'.
          Otoh, the narrow nylon webbing type of ratchet straps sold in Lidl for securing loads to roof-racks and trailers, have no place on a motorcycle. If one of those gets tangled with a wheel, it would be very bad news indeed.
          My rubber bungee straps has plastic hooks, I doubt they have the strenght to lock up the wheel. The net seems more likely to be an issue, but since its bungy material, if it pops loose the hook would retract to the top. And its a lot easier to attach the nets hooks further up. I use the bunge straps on my duffel, and my net for extra clothes and my backpack. Super convenient to be able to pull out different pants.

I got ratchet nylon straps specifically made for bikes, but I came to the same conclusion as you. If one end comes loose, and it hits my wheel it would lock it up (I think they were rated for a ton). The hooks are also so big, that they needed to be attached quite far down on the frame.
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Yeah I was wondering if there are any sort of close fitting hard saddle bags for my bike, or something that could be modified to fit well. I’m not a big fan of the bungee cords, or netting. They may be functional but it’s just not look I’m going for.

Comment

I used bags like these until I picked up Givi hard cases.
              The compact size of the Nelson Rigg CL890 Mini Expandable Sport Saddle Bags is compatible with most bikes that have upswept exhausts.

Comment

Yes, fabric saddle -bags are my goto-especially expandable ones. But I think you could fit bigger ones than shown in the link on an 850. They can't be too big given you have adequate clearance from the muffler.

CB450S readyForTown.jpg Here are my soft bags on a Honda but they fit all 5 bikes.

They're usually a "universal fit" which means any mounting straps they came with are useless. But it's easy to push a hole through them with an awl and pass a stopper-knotted rope through a big washer and then through the hole made to attach to something nearby and handy.
                They generally need that lower attachment to stop them lifting in the breeze when empty.

You might want to put them under the seat but I put 'em on top. This gains height from exhaust and thereby bigger bags....

However, it's pretty easy to steal them or their contents so if you park the bike long enough and lockable hard cases are what you'll want then....

Hard cases are not flexible and it's frustrating to find out how much stuff doesn't fit unless maybe, they are very carefully packed. Stylish doesn't help...slants, rounded look, all reduce capacity for everyday "stuff"which is often right angles....... Also, turn signals will often need moving back.....yes, they are more stylish than soft bags with matching paint and chrome and MAYBE more waterproof but are pretty much permanent unless you have a half hour or so, whereas the soft bags come off quick if you don't want the capacity or the look.

A Rack is good for oversize/overlength stuff-and unlikely theft targets, but nowadays I just take a good long length of rope and secure to handles, seat rail, foot pegs..whatever's handy.

"Rope" (say 5/16 or so) is much better than straps, buckles, bungees to secure any load if you know a few simple knots....

I can quickly lash a tank-bag on the pillion (magnets out) if I don't want the bagged look. (I don't like bags on the tank or the (humongous) cases on the rear.)
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-21-2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I've used universal fit soft saddlebags as well. Bought a cheap set 20 plus years ago at the last minute before a trip. Ive used them on all three of my bikes, plus my uncle used them on a ride halfway around the U.S. on his Triumph. As noted they are not lockable, and in my case, even with the rain covers on the contents still get wet in a downpour.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Emjay View Post
                    I used bags like these until I picked up Givi hard cases.
                    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ort-saddlebags
                    Where did you get the rack? I know there is one made for givi that fits GS1000E, but no idea if that would fit mine...
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

If you were ever near North Carolina I have my old GK stuff laying around but that's pretty big luggage and would require welding some mounts. I do a lot of temporary transport with bungee nets and parachute cord(trucker's hitch). I don't know if they're still made but the Willie & Max "Hooker" and "Sport Hooker" work great for extra tieing options. Soft bags are nice too. I keep a rear seat bag and snowmobile tunnel bag laying around for options.

Comment

Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by GearHead View Post
                          I was wondering if there are any sort of close fitting hard saddle bags for my bike, ...
                          Originally posted by Emjay View Post
                          I used bags like these until I picked up Givi hard cases. ...
                          "Close-fitting" and "Givi". Now THERE are a couple of opposites.

"Close-fitting" would be a description of the GK bags. They also come with a HUGE luggage rack, which conveniently holds a detachable trunk.

Givi bags are rather large and don't even come close to the bike, so they are R E A L L Y wide.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X