battery drains on start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery drains on start

Hi Guys, new owner of a Gs650G 1983 here, I have a problem with the battery, in the first start the battery drains, so if I didn't manage to start the bike on the first attempt the battery is dead, I already change the battery for a new one, and already check that is charging. I have now idea what to check now, I will appreciate any suggestions. Thank you all in advance.
    1983 Suzuki GS650G (New to me)
    2011 Vespa 300 GTS ("Wifes Bike")
    1986 Yamaha GT80 (From New in middle of restoration)
    1970 Honda SupreCub 90 (Future project, maybe to electric)
    2017 KTM Duke 200 (From New) (Recently Sold)

Well, your 650 should start in less than a second, so you may have a number of problems.

You say you checked your battery, what were the numbers?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Do the quick test and post the numbers. How did you determine that the battery is being charged? Quick test and other useful links for you are in my signature.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

New to you?? .....understand how the “choke” system works ....it’s actually an enricher device.. it’s supplies an extra dose of fuel into carbs throats. But you must not apply any throttle when you use “choke” during cranking or you defeat this cold start method and bike will just crank away! So apply full “choke”, no throttle twisting,and then crank.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tattosti View Post
          Hi Guys, new owner of a Gs650G 1983 here, I have a problem with the battery, in the first start the battery drains, so if I didn't manage to start the bike on the first attempt the battery is dead, I already change the battery for a new one, and already check that is charging. I have now idea what to check now, I will appreciate any suggestions. Thank you all in advance.
          I would look very closely at the starter motor. Take it out, inspect and clean it or repair it.

Do Test it on the bench while it's out of the bike to be sure you have fixed.

It's the only thing I can think of that would drain a good battery so quickly unless your Positive battery cable is intermittentently shorting to the frame. Because, there is no fuse between the starter motor and the battery. Any other electrical fault would blow a fuse before the battery was killed.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the suggestions, I will try everything and let you now the results on the next days

Comment

Just wondering how long it cranks until the batt. goes down?
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

in the first start the battery drains, so if I didn't manage to start the bike on the first attempt the battery is dead,
                Rphillips, I'm assuming it dies almost immediately from original post, but yes-"how long is it cranking?" is a question. It might be turning steadily for minutes for all I know!

Comment

Yep, just wondering. 5 seconds of cranking should easily have it going, but if the batt. is dead after only 5 seconds??? Something ain't right.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hi Guys I have some progress, so I found some ground connections lose, after changing the tipa y reconnect everything I don’t have the problem any more, so the bike try’s to start and don’t “kill” the battery trying 😄, but now the bikes try’s very hard to start even with the choke press on full, now it’s a totally different problem but you have any ideas ??
                    thanks all for your help and interest in my problem, very happy to found this great forum!

Comment

Your “choke” system probably is clogged....not delivering extra shot of fuel into carb throats. If you drop a fuel bowl ,you will see a small tube that protrudes out of carb body....this tube gets fed by a small hole in bottom of fuel bowl. Both the tube and the hole are easily clogged preventing the “choke” system from allowing fuel to reach carb throats.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Go to that site and get yourself a factory service manual.
                        Then, look at the right column for the BS carb rebuilds and follow them
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

All that and look here. https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ewbie+mistakes
                          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                          past bikes. RF900
                          TL1000s
                          Hayabusa
                          gsx 750f x2
                          197cc Francis Barnett
                          various British nails

Comment

Now you are back to it could be any number of problems. Adjust the valves, overhaul the carbs and replace all the O rings first. If there is still a problem, it will be a lot easier to track down.
                            Eastern Washington
                            1980 GS1000L No mods.
                            1997 Valkyrie

Comment

Thank you all once again, will check the service manual, and the "Top 10 Newbie Mistakes" its a great way to start.
                              I will keep you updated with the results, thanks to all!

Comment

Working...
                              X