GS750T carb uh oh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750T carb uh oh!

Well, I had cleaned and installed carb kits in my 1982 GS750T. I was able to get the bike running, it just took 20+ minutes to get “warmed up”, each time I started it. I had replaced everything but the pilot jets. They were plugged with a metal plug so I felt that they shouldn’t be tampered with. But since my bike’s performance issue may be linked to the pilot jets, I removed the metal plugs and changed out the jets. Very, very unfortunate for me, one of the jets was stuck! I ended up having to use a screw extractor to get the stuck jet out. That turned out to be a very, very bad decision! The screw extractor snapped off level with the pilot jet, down in the pilot jet tube! Terrible!
    I have tried to drill it out with no success, due to the hard metal that the screw extractor is made of. Even if I were able to get it out somehow, I have probably screwed up the pilot jet shaft by now.
    Is my best option, to try to find another carb?
    If so, is there anywhere to get just one single stock carb for my bike?
    Would some other set of carbs (other than the Stock ones) for work on my bike?
    Thanks again GS Resources.
    1982 GS750T stock (for now)

There are 2 great CV carb cleaning/rebuilding tutorials on BikeCliffs Website, right column, top of the list. I wish you had read those before starting working on your carbs. Consensus on carb “kits” is not favorable. Replacing the orings with a set available from cycleorings.com is recommend. If float needle valves and seats are not sealing, those could be replaced as well. But typically the other things you would get in a “kit “ aren’t going to help you. All that said, I’m not sure where to tell you to go next. I’m sure others with more carb repair experience will chime in. Hang in there. You’re in the right place.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The pilot jets are accessed by taking off the bowls. They are capped with a rubber plug next to the main jet. I think you are talking about the enricher screws (Probably wrong term). At any rate, your problem now is getting the stuff out of it. the threads may or may not be damaged. I'll see if I can search cup some help. I'm assuming your model has CV carbs like mine.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Thanks. I actually did get the set of O-rings from that site. They solved my leaking problem perfectly!
        My bike was running good after my carb cleaning, but only after 20 or more minutes of babysitting each time I started it up. That’s really the main reason that I was going to clean or change the pilot jets. Then 3 of the 4 jets came out great...but that one! There is always one!!!
        Anyway, I’m stuck now. Any good thoughts/help/ideas is appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Post 7 in this linked thread. There is a picture somewhere but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your dilemma.

Actually, that may be for a VM carb but the idea is similar.
          Last edited by 1948man; 07-22-2020, 06:44 PM.
          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Here is a pic of my prob.

Comment

Post 3 by Steve. See how slots have been cut in the towers to get to the recessed screws. Are these the screws we are talking about? It may not help with the extractor
              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Here is a pic of my prob.

Comment

Attachment 61399. This isn't working for me.
                  1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Your pictures are coming up as invalid attachments. Try using a photo hosting site like Imgur. Instructions linked in my signature.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Unfortunately, my issue is not with a mixture screw. My problem is with the pilot jet that is accessed by removing the float bowl and then removing the plug that covers the pilot jet which is beside the main jet. In my prior reply, I attached a picture.

Comment

Good clarification on the problem, but your photos aren't working.

Have you tried heat?

You can advertise for a carb body in the Parts Wanted forum here. However, each carb body in a set is unique, so you need to ask for the correct one.
                        Last edited by Big T; 07-22-2020, 07:53 PM.
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

PTI

I have a "T" as well...I don't see photos on your profile...otherwise, when you get a hosting sight, post your "T" here:https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...nk)&highlight=

Here's some pics of the jets I replaced at MrBill's shop...

New Ones!!!

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 07-22-2020, 07:52 PM.
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

You are right Ed. That’s the area!
                            The pilot jet’s “tubes” on mine still had the factory metal plugs. Your pic has the rubber replacement plugs covering the jets. I removed all 4 metal plugs fine...and even 3 jets, from 3 of the 4 carbs. That last one is the problem, ughhh!
                            But anyway, this is where I am now. Not Such a good place.

Comment

Originally posted by suzgsridr View Post
                              You are right Ed. That’s the area!
                              The pilot jet’s “tubes” on mine still had the factory metal plugs. Your pic has the rubber replacement plugs covering the jets.
                              This is the part that is confusing everyone. When the carbs left the factory, they did not have metal plugs, only rubber.

There were metal plugs over the pilot screws (also called "mixture screws"), but they are on top of the carbs.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X