No announcement yet.

GS750T carb uh oh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My black and grey 1982 GS750 had a type of shiny soft metal plug (where Ed’s pic shows rubber) over the pilot jet tubes. I am not the first owner, but I have had it since 2003. I assumed that the metal plug was from the factory. I any case, somehow mine had metal plugs over the pilot jet tubes. I got those out/off without issue. The problem was that the pilot jet was stuck. I ended up using a screw extractor which has now broken off flush with the jet, inside the tube. I know that may have been a bad idea, but it is what it is now.
    Also, i know what you mean by the mixture screws that are in front of the carbs (not inside the carb). But on my bike, those screws have/had no plug at all. The mixture screws are visible on mine. Those may have Had plugs at some point but not now.
    1982 GS750T stock (for now)

Comment

I’m thinking these were not the bike’s original Carbs. Pics sure would help clear that up.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        This is the part that is confusing everyone. When the carbs left the factory, they did not have metal plugs, only rubber.

There were metal plugs over the pilot screws (also called "mixture screws"), but they are on top of the carbs.

Good morning, Steve.

The top of the carb bowls as pictured below...or the top, top (opposite end/side)?

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

This pic that Ed posted is the correct view. That looks like the carbs on my bike. The open carb In Ed’s pic shows the pilot jet capped with a rubber plug. The pilot jet that is underneath that rubber plug, is where my problem is. The pilot jet is stuck and now I also have a screw extractor broke off and stuck in it.

Somehow I can blow air through that jet. I guess there is somehow some opening through there. So, I think that I will just put the float bowl back on and reinstall the carbs and see if it magically runs. I doubt it. But right now, since I can’t fix the problem, that’s something I can try.

Comment

Well. I am kind of amazed! I put the carb (the one that still has the broken off screw extractor) back together including the rubber plug (from my carb kit) over the pilot jet, as required. I had already changed out the other 3 pilot jets so those carbs were good to go.
            I reinstalled the carb rack on the bike, primed the carbs, and what do you know! She started without any special effort. It hasn’t done that in many many years!
            I adjusted each mixture screw 2 turns out and it is actually running pretty well for a 38 year old. I took it for a good test ride which was good as well. The next test will be when I try starting it up later.
            I would still like to fix that one pilot jet issue, but I am not sure how. Maybe some machine shop? I really don’t want to spend $600 or more for a set of carbs, when I just need one.
            It isn’t perfect. But if it continues to run good, this may just end up being a non issue.... I don’t understand how, but I guess stranger things have happened!

Comment

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Glad it worked out, so far.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

...update. Fingers still crossed.
                She has fired right up a couple more times now.
                I am 100% sure that the dirty pilot jets were the root of the issue. Those metal plugs just seemed to shout “beware, do not enter”, so I never messed with them. But, in the whole process of working on this bike, I have learned sooo much about how they work! I am sure it will always be a WIP!
                I can just imagine how nice it would have been to have gotten that last jet replaced!

Comment

Originally posted by suzgsridr View Post
                  ...update. Fingers still crossed.
                  She has fired right up a couple more times now.
                  I am 100% sure that the dirty pilot jets were the root of the issue. Those metal plugs just seemed to shout “beware, do not enter”, so I never messed with them. But, in the whole process of working on this bike, I have learned sooo much about how they work! I am sure it will always be a WIP!
                  I can just imagine how nice it would have been to have gotten that last jet replaced!
                  That lingering thought...woulda/coulda/shoulda...

You know, if you research on here (GSR), you'll know there's members here who could rebuild those carbs for 1/3 the price you mentioned--just a thought.

Enjoy your time riding and I'll remind you again, when you get a photo hosting site set up (depending on whether you want free or paid site), post your "T" here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...nk)&highlight=

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Maybe the metal plugs were some kind of previous workaround and maybe they weren't sealing effectively.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I looked briefly through this thread and did not see which carb you need.

I have some spares, will have to see if any of them would work for your bike, but need to know which carb.

I won't be home until Sunday night, so don't expect an answer before then.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Looks like you need to post pic of the carbs...and identify the carb you need...and then contact Steve.

I had my bike's carbs rebuilt by Steve...and they came out immaculate!

Good luck with everything!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

As I sit on my bike, my “bad carb” is the first one on my left side.
                          Even though the bike is somehow starting and running decent (after a little warm up), I think if I could get that carb fixed or replaced, it would be so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by suzgsridr View Post
                            As I sit on my bike, my “bad carb” is the first one on my left side. ...
                            That would be the #1 carb.

Everything on a vehicle is referenced left to right or front to back as if you are in position, ready to drive or ride.
                            That means that #1 is under your clutch hand, #4 is under your throttle hand.
                            The front of the carbs are up against the engine, the back of the carbs are sucking air from the filter.

I will check tomorrow evening to see if I have a #1 carb that will work for you.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks.
                              Here is a pic of my 82 GS750T
                              Discover topics like suzgsridr, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like wlcismeht.

Comment

Nice looking “T”. Don’t forget to post pic on the “T” thread previously mentioned.

Quick question, why is your fuel tube sticking out the left side? That could get caught on something and cause trouble.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X