Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 411 - good tourer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Enfield Himalayan 411 - good tourer?

Ive been looking at the 411. It looks like the most sensible modern bike. Air cooled, round headlight, SOCH engine. Its like an old bike, only new.

There is studded tyres for it, so I can ride it in the winter.

I realize it is somewhat less powerfull than the GS, but I am sure it doesn't use a lot of gasoline. If its comfortable to ride, it would be extremely cheap for a new bike. 70 000nok ish (7000 usd/gbp/eur-ish). I am betting it is fairly cheap to insure. The GS is super cheap to insure.

Also I could ride a bike like that to its limits, I feel the GS can't really show what its good for on the norwegian roads. I can't even top out second gear.

I mean I love the GS, its an amazing bike, and I love the abundance of power. But I think a second bike would extend my season. And I could get it with metal boxes. And I could trash it on dirt trails.

I wonder if I could ride it for miles and miles. Like across europe.

My friend wants to go to india and buy one and ride it back.
    GS1000G 1981

I've ridden them lots in India . The great thing is that no matter how remote the village is there is someone there who can fix them. I've always had a soft spot for them but I think your friend is ambitious. He will run out of his parts supply and the knowledge to fix it once he crosses the Indian border. They are fun but they ain't a Beemer { or your Suzuki } for reliability ....... I wouldn't tell you not to buy one because I like them . Just temper your expectations on it's reliability.... As for trashing it on dirt trails . Yup you sure can . I had one on the Rohtang Pass in India ... { Google that if you want to see one crazy road } .......
    I'm basing everything I just said on twenty years ago so it is possible things have changed at Enfield as technological upgrades weren't really their thing back then .....
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Itchy Boots?
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Hmm....

Quality control ain't something they've been paying attention to.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          I followed her journey thru South America this winter.
          Tell me that plus her last journey from India to Europe ain't a testament of it's build quality, Grimly.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Hmm - 24 HP, 430 lbs and 75 mph top speed

Thanks, but all 3 of my dual sports can outspec that.

Plus, you might want to come to the US and buy one, they're about $4,000 over here
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I think it would be a fun little bike. I do wish it were lighter, 430lbs seems like a lot for a small air-cooled single.

In general though, bikes like that are a blast. I used to have a KLR250 that was a lot of fun. Could ride it really hard and still be close to the speed limit.

You do have to be aware of the limitations that 25hp brings. Mostly that you have to avoid major highways, because the max speed you're going to be able to maintain for extended periods is only about 100kph.
              I did a couple of longer rides on the KLR, 250 miles or so, sticking to secondary roads made it reasonable
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                I've ridden them lots in India . The great thing is that no matter how remote the village is there is someone there who can fix them. I've always had a soft spot for them but I think your friend is ambitious. He will run out of his parts supply and the knowledge to fix it once he crosses the Indian border. They are fun but they ain't a Beemer { or your Suzuki } for reliability ....... I wouldn't tell you not to buy one because I like them . Just temper your expectations on it's reliability.... As for trashing it on dirt trails . Yup you sure can . I had one on the Rohtang Pass in India ... { Google that if you want to see one crazy road } .......
                I'm basing everything I just said on twenty years ago so it is possible things have changed at Enfield as technological upgrades weren't really their thing back then .....
                I've seen videos of the Rothang Pass before, its crazy.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                Hmm - 24 HP, 430 lbs and 75 mph top speed

Thanks, but all 3 of my dual sports can outspec that.

Plus, you might want to come to the US and buy one, they're about $4,000 over here
                I believe its taxes that makes it expensive here. I couldn't drive it with american plates over here.

Top speed limit in Norway is 110 kmh, so it will do that, barely.

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                I think it would be a fun little bike. I do wish it were lighter, 430lbs seems like a lot for a small air-cooled single.

In general though, bikes like that are a blast. I used to have a KLR250 that was a lot of fun. Could ride it really hard and still be close to the speed limit.

You do have to be aware of the limitations that 25hp brings. Mostly that you have to avoid major highways, because the max speed you're going to be able to maintain for extended periods is only about 100kph.
                I did a couple of longer rides on the KLR, 250 miles or so, sticking to secondary roads made it reasonable
                110 kph is the fastest speed limit in Norway, so its closeish. I guess Ive never ridden a slow bike like that. Slowest is 35 kwh Yamaha Tracer 700 (limited to A2)
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                  I've seen videos of the Rothang Pass before, its crazy.

I believe its taxes that makes it expensive here. I couldn't drive it with american plates over here.

Top speed limit in Norway is 110 kmh, so it will do that, barely.

110 kph is the fastest speed limit in Norway, so its closeish. I guess Ive never ridden a slow bike like that. Slowest is 35 kwh Yamaha Tracer 700 (limited to A2)

Sounds like a Suzuki TU250 has the same performance, much better quality and dependability and only about 310 lbs weight. Plus the TU is also old school styling and single cylinder.
                  Last edited by earlfor; 07-23-2020, 04:25 PM.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                    Sounds like a Suzuki TU250 has the same performance, much better quality and dependability and only about 60% of the weight. Plus the TU is also old school styling and single cylinder.
                    True, and a nice little bike, but not an adventure bike at all.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Why not get a DR650 (or a KLR, if you can tolerate water cooling)? WAAAAY more bike for way less money.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah, it is an adventure bike, for dirt roads, sometimes on paved secondary highways. Will carry lots of gear/luggage.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Why not get a DR650 (or a KLR, if you can tolerate water cooling)? WAAAAY more bike for way less money.

I have yet to see a KLR for sale in Norway. I have no idea why, but I cannot find one. And I have been looking for one. I assume they are very popular.

There seems to be DRs for sale all the time though. Like this one: https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=184224952 I like them better in blue I guess. But they are usually around that price range.

Apart from lacking ABS, and presumably using more fuel I think its a great option. I have strongly considered it.

But its not new.
                          GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                            But its not new.
                            A "not new" DR650 will outlast a new RE with fewer repairs.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              A "not new" DR650 will outlast a new RE with fewer repairs.
                              I don't doubt that, but the RE would be unsullied by a PO with too high beliefs about their mechanical skills.
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                              X