Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 411 - good tourer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmn, most of the DR/KLR/XR owners around here are pretty realistic, and besides, those bikes require very little maintenance.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Maybe find a DR Big from Germany
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Maybe find a DR Big from Germany
        Germany is a great country to import bikes from, ebcause of their mandatory inspections. Those insure nothing to dumb has been done to the bikes.

But with VAT and transport, it might be more feasible to get one more locally.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

I didn't check your for sale link, looks like you have DR Big there already

We didn't get that here in the US
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            I didn't check your for sale link, looks like you have DR Big there already

We didn't get that here in the US
            Oh thats unfortunate.

I found studless winter tyres for the DR750 BIG. Not sure if they are usable in Norway though. On my bicycle I have the most amazing studded tyres, like wet ice is no problem for it. Even better than walking with studded shoes.
            GS1000G 1981

Comment

The TUX is not an off road bike but if your in no rush it will go anywhere!!
              Yesterday i went for a 50 mile ride with the TUX, dirt roads primarily... Not fast though... 65/70mph top speed. Such an easy little bike to ride anywhere, at anytime!

Best,
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I love how you have that little beast set up, Jedz.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Jedz, I love that bike, that is an interessting bike.

In Norway they don't seem popular, but I found one:

https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=177760807

That price is the same as what I paid for my current bike. I must admit I have never ridden a 125cc. I need to ask my boss to borrow the CBR125 or the Yamaha whatever 125. Norway speed limits are mostly low, so I think Id do okay on one.

110 is the max speed limit in Norway (70 mph equals 112 kmh). And here in the north we are limited to 90 kmh, unless we go to sweden (110 kmh nearby here, no idea the max, south sweden isnt a place I really go to).
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

This one is a 250, it's US specific model I'm pretty sure.
                    Fuel Injected. TU250X. TUX for short.

Top Speed is nothing spectacular but it yields good fuel economy. Always starts, always goes.

I have some aftermarket goodies (heated grips). I ride this one year round but I think this year I'll be putting the bikes up as soon as I get stuck in the first snow fall.

Rode it again today, just a joy to ride around. Cheap to run too... Change the oil once a year. It's based of the DR200 so it's tougher than a coffin nail.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Funny- I just noticed yours has "star rims" exactly like my 1981 bikes....

Your 250 is one of the coolest bikes available for new and old riders. I've talked to one owner hereabouts and he agrees. It's a bike i would steer people to rather than the plastic-fantastics...so simple to work on without the wretched fairings or cooling systems (if it ever needs any). If you weren't a speed demon, You could ride that safely anywhere on Vancouver island without worrying about its max speed .

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        Funny- I just noticed yours has "star rims" exactly like my 1981 bikes....

Your 250 is one of the coolest bikes available for new and old riders. I've talked to one owner hereabouts and he agrees. It's a bike i would steer people to rather than the plastic-fantastics...so simple to work on without the wretched fairings or cooling systems (if it ever needs any). If you weren't a speed demon, You could ride that safely anywhere on Vancouver island without worrying about its max speed .
                        Yup they are a custom job:

I used it yesterday for about 50 miles. Just a great go anywhere bike but it's limited especially on the highways and interstate. I will generally map all back roads if I plan to go anywhere far with it.

Best,
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

AH! that's interesting per the rim swap! Excellent idea and looks fairly easy... yes speeds are likely slower around here...If you can do 60 you are ok togo anywhere (though the "upper-highway"(19) is 65 mph limit -left lane is doing anything 70 between 85 mph and is kind of windy on light bikes.... But you can dodge it on 19A (50mph) and it's a more scenic road.)

Comment

I soooo wish suzuki would do a little bigger version of the TU with the DR650 motor.
                            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                              I soooo wish suzuki would do a little bigger version of the TU with the DR650 motor.
                              What an AWESOME idea!
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Even a 400 would be stellar. The 250 is a little too anemic for interstate and highway speed limits of 55mph. If I could just get some passing power that would be awesome!!! I have thought about swapping in a larger motor but I really like the FI. I bet I could make it work on a 650 but I would need to make some custom fueling maps. Thoughts have crossed my mind. However riding the TUX makes me think about the very first motorbikes to hit the roads in the early 1900's. I bet they rode and felt more similar to the TUX vs most bikes on the market. Single Air cooled thumper, thumping around on the back roads.
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X