Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 411 - good tourer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    Even a 400 would be stellar. The 250 is a little too anemic for interstate and highway speed limits of 55mph. If I could just get some passing power that would be awesome!!! I have thought about swapping in a larger motor but I really like the FI. I bet I could make it work on a 650 but I would need to make some custom fueling maps. Thoughts have crossed my mind. However riding the TUX makes me think about the very first motorbikes to hit the roads in the early 1900's. I bet they rode and felt more similar to the TUX vs most bikes on the market. Single Air cooled thumper, thumping around on the back roads.
    That raw nature is a big part of why I enjoy the Sportster so much.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

My son, as a beginner, followed us all over the country on a Suzuki GN400 single, and never had any trouble keeping up. He also got 75 mpg. It would have been very easy to make a dual purpose backroad bike out of.

Comment

I picked up a GN400... The CDi is a bit troublesome, only got to idle once. I need to do something with fuggin thing since it just sits near my shop with refusal to start. Kick start only drives me wonky and I give up on it pretty quickly....

E-legs always work better than real ones.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Without the ol' magneto+points setup, kickstarts are kind of an affectation on a bike with electronic ignition, a decent battery, starter and solenoid. Pretty hard to spin fast enough or long enough to get a spark from a stator so a dead battery would seem to make a kickstart a nogo option on modern bikes anyways...

I'm pretty light so I had to stand on it to get momentum on a bike without compression release...so I've hurt myself in various ways ..boot slips off etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            I picked up a GN400... The CDi is a bit troublesome, only got to idle once. I need to do something with fuggin thing since it just sits near my shop with refusal to start. Kick start only drives me wonky and I give up on it pretty quickly....

E-legs always work better than real ones.

As far as I know, no Suzuki GS morotcycles of any model or year were ever made with a CDI ignition.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              As far as I know, no Suzuki GS morotcycles of any model or year were ever made with a CDI ignition.
              Well, Earl, it is a GN

How did the term CDI become synonymous with electronic ignition?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's a true CDI with 6V running lights, has nothing to do with GS bikes and more to do with vintage DRs
                Best,
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Well, Earl, it is a GN

How did the term CDI become synonymous with electronic ignition?
                  Because it was the dog's wotsits in the 60s and 70s and it stuck.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My GN400 was a decent bike, I'd have another one again.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I looked at those at the dealer. The look more accessible than a dual sport to short legged me, but I would want at least the speed of a DR350 in order stay ahead of old ladies in Camrys going over Rt 6. I like its concept though.

Interesting that the new 650 Interceptor runs with the Kawasaki W800 retro twin in speed, and handles better with better suspension and tires. I've seen a few of those on the road. I looked at the Interceptor variants too at the dealer too. Fit and finish looked surprisingly good. Nice compact size.

Both the Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Kawasaki W800 Cafe are long on retro-cafe style, but which has the best bang for the buck?

I owned a 1968 Royal Enfield Interceptor for about 15 years. Totally unrelated.
                      Last edited by 850 Combat; 08-16-2020, 02:18 PM.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

They just released a cam's and big bore kits that gives the RE INT6550 some much needed hp bumps.
                        However in person I was expecting the bike to be much smaller than my Bonneville T120, weight wise it felt the same as my T120. I don't think I would ever get one as it's just too much like the Bonneville but considerably slower...
                        They do make a 865cc kit and cam which would in theory get you close to the 70hp level, it's really a Bonneville clone at that point.
                        They are a great value though! I saw one new for $4500. I would choose a RE over a Kawasaki... Just a bit anemic, stock:

HOWEVER
                        I could see myself making a scrambler with one... One day, maybe. Issue is I love my current bikes in my fold too much to make room for a bike I may not love in the long run.
                        Best,
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Hmm - 24 HP, 430 lbs and 75 mph top speed

Thanks, but all 3 of my dual sports can outspec that.

Plus, you might want to come to the US and buy one, they're about $4,000 over here

Yep, but riding it to Norway is going to be a challenge. lol
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Noreg, you must be familiar with Norily known as Itchy Boots on you tube. She is from your area and rode a Himalayan 400 over a few continents. Look her up and you will get all the info you need on this machine.

Comment

Working...
                            X