Key West new guy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key West new guy!

Have been a Suzuki rider for a lot of years! Started with a GT250 in Sophomore high school, then graduated with a GS750. Unfortunately it was in a wreck as i was still on at the time. I hate loud noises! Later came a red GS1100 E for many years. 3 weeks ago i found a deal on a blue 1979 GS850G. Love it!

Have been reading thru this site and also BassCliff's.

The test ride and subsequent 20 minute ride once back in the keys was good. Next day after going only several blocks it just shut off, (600 pounds is a lot to push) after several minuets it would start and go for a minute the shut down. Cleaned the tank, new petcock, new fuel, ran for 10 minuets thought i was ok. Started today and after several minutes of warm up she died again. Any thoughts?

Sorry this was a bit long. Buy this time next year it's going to be show room

Looking forward to being part of the family!
    1979 GS850G (current ride & project)

Bikes of the past;
    1977 GT250
    1978 GS750
    1983 GS1100E (Red!)

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid!”
    Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to TheGSR.
    Thanks for introduction.

Not good to hear about "wreck".

Would be better to post about the "it just shuts off" in one of the technical sections.....
    hum, does it seem like shuts off like ran out of fuel (post in carb section), or does it seem to shut off like the ignition swtich was turned off (post in ignition section) ...?

Oh, and need picture of bike before we can give any technical advise.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks for the info, will start some new posts. Seems more abrupt like the kill switch?

As far as photos go i tried to upload but it failed. Is there a size limit? I used the "insert photo" icon.

Bikes of the past;
      1977 GT250
      1978 GS750
      1983 GS1100E (Red!)

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Welcome KWRider.

Seems like there are a minimum number of posts you have to make before you can upload a photo. Maybe someone can comfirm that.

Good of you to drop in and introduce yourself.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome aboard, Key!

Anyone who rode a red 11E is okay in my book!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hi ya, KW.
            Always like the little 250s, from the early X-6 Hustler to the later disc brake GT250.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

about photo: is best to have photo hosted on a photo hosting site such as flickr or imgur or something like photobucket.... then find whatever function they have (maybe called "share") to copy the BBCode or maybe is called IMG code, and then paste that into the forum posting. Will look something like this
              [img] https: / / i.imgur.com/rfXw0vW.jpg [ / img]

but then it appears as the image like this

or can use what ever function (share?) they have to get the image address (URL? link?), and then use the forum image insert icon, click "from URL", paste in the image address, unclick the "retrieve"...and then will have the same as if had copy-pasted the BBCode (IMG code).

I dont know if there is or isnt any 'number-of-post' requirement to be able to post pics on this forum, like many other forums do.

If you use the forum Insert Image icon, and use "From Computer", (so doesn't need to be hosted on another site) then can only have one per post, and it shows up as a small image that the viewer has to be signed in and has to click on to see bigger. So, do that, if you have to, if dont have any photo hosting site available.
              If you use the forum Insert Image icon, and use "From URL", (because pic is hosted on another site) then can have upto ten pictures per posting, and all show up (as large as 1000pixle wide) without the viewer having to be signed in. (all of which is why is the preferred method).
              Last edited by Redman; 07-26-2020, 08:15 AM. Reason: spullung

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome.
                AFAIK, there is no minimum number of posts you have to have made in order to post photos. The best way to post photos is to link copy and paste the BBCode of the photo that is hosted on a site like Flickr or IMgur. I have written explicit instructions on using Imgur. It’s in my signature. It seems like a lot of steps. But once you do it a few times, you develop a flow and it’s not so bad.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I had a similar issue when I first got my '79. Put the petcock on prime and ride it like that but make sure to shut it off IF it stops running. This may narrow your issues down to a faulty petcock.

I've been going to KW for the last 8-10 years so I'll have to look you up the next time down.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Welcome. Enjoy the new ride.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Dang KWRider, I thought you were at the wrong place, Just figured Kaw. Rider. Glad to give you a big welcome after I saw the GS850. Shoot probably would have gave you one anyway, even if you did ride a Kaw. Just say'in, if vent in gas cap is clogged, the fuller the tank, the less time it will run before starving for gas, If tank is nearly empty will run a lot longer before it quits. Good luck.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Redman, that is one great looking bike! With your help and Rich82GS750TZ i was able get some photos into this thread! Very easy, thanks!

I have replaced the old petcock with a new one.

As i’m still learning terms and some of the abbreviations i’m wondering where is the vent on the gas cap located? In the photo of mine i noticed that the rubber gasket is old and cracked can that be replaced?

To tas850g (and any of the forum members) it would be tons of fun to hang out down here! The USCGC Ingham memorial is a great place to check out!
                        This is what she looks like today!
                        ]

Bikes of the past;
                        1977 GT250
                        1978 GS750
                        1983 GS1100E (Red!)

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X