No announcement yet.

Hello from TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was I thinking "80" model? Noticed the fuel cock isn't the infamous "80" model Suzuki fuel cock with no res. nor lever. I love the paint scheme & colors, are they OEM from another part of the world? Seems familiar but I've never remember it in the U.S. Great work throughout the garage. Congrats
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Why was I thinking "80" model? Noticed the fuel cock isn't the infamous "80" model Suzuki fuel cock with no res. nor lever. I love the paint scheme & colors, are they OEM from another part of the world? Seems familiar but I've never remember it in the U.S. Great work throughout the garage. Congrats
      It is indeed an 80 model but I've been questioning whether or not the fuel cock is original. I ordered a K&L service kit but the metal piston in the middle of the diaphragm was too short for this fuel cock, which meant the fuel didn't completely shut off when the engine wasn't running. Similar question mark on the headlight. I bought a new rim but it didn't fit. As far as I can tell from parts lists, the one on the bike is from a GS550.

The 80 model did come with a color option called Gravity Silver, but not sure which markets it was offered in. It was quite different to the Chrysler silver I used.

Comment

My 80 originally came from the factory to Europe as an identical bike to that, with the same normal petcock and colour.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The engine looks factory fresh. How did you clean and paint the cases? Looks flawless.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LeT View Post
            The engine looks factory fresh. How did you clean and paint the cases? Looks flawless.
            Apart from a carb issue, the engine was in great shape, but nonetheless you have to do a complete tear down if you want the cases done properly. The bare cases were blasted, primed with high-temp primer, then painted with VHT engine enamel. It looked like only the upper case was painted originally, but I painted both halves.

Comment

I can't think any of mine have painted lower cases but that's a good improvement. So you did a total strip of the engine. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do that - space to put the internals is very limited and is worry about getting the gearbox back together right. Mating the crankcase halves with the selector forks looks hard.

Once again, you've done a lovely job on this bike. I hope you are able to enjoy riding it too.
              GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.

Comment

Working...
              X