87 Honda CBR600, AHRMA vintage racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 Honda CBR600, AHRMA vintage racer project

Ok, wow! Just learned AHRMA has OK'd a new Next Gen Superbike Middleweight class!
    The 87-90 CBR600 is in!
    I've restored my rescued 87 CBR600, almost sold it before somebody on FB, AHRMA Swap Meet told me the good news!
    Now all I need to do is the strip downs, bolt ons, safety wirings and it's track worthy.
    Anybody know if the F2 rear wheel can be fitted to the F1?
    Thanks!

Some naked pics from 2019:

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-28-2020, 08:41 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

This project post is gonna take a while to get going. This will be my winter project.
    Have a list of stuff to buy:

Race prep budget
    * Race tires:
    Bridgestone S20 EVO_$105 rear, $98 front, = $203
    Pirelli Diablo Russo II_$121 rear, $103 front, = $224
    Michelin RS_$134 rear, $117 front, = $251
    Michelin Power Cup EVO_ $180 rear, $145 front, = $325
    Fork springs: $117
    * Steering damper $33
    * Rear shock: $000?
    * Shifter upgrade: $140
    * Ignition advance: $110
    Pegs: $40
    Panel-headlight: $21
    Panel-tail section: $206
    Panel: oil pan:

Total cost_$385 - $1000.+

The work list will include a valve job.
    The tailpiece/seat will be a little work, but did that to my GSXF Katana.
    The bike only weighs 435 lb topped off and street legal.
    It'll be EZ to get that down to 400 lb track ready.
    Amazing bike.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

I put the shifter upgrade into the one I built recently. Not sure at all if it's worth it but the customer provided it.I don't remember any problems when we raced these things back in the day.
      Seeing the box is properly undercut is probably a better spend of the money.

Once the squish clearance is correctly set, you don't need the ignition advancer. Stock is good on a correctly built engine.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        Seeing the box is properly undercut is probably a better spend of the money.
        Greg, please explain this detail: undercutting the box.
        Thanks a bunch for the tips!

Comment

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks a bunch Ed!

Comment

On the undercut, since it's not cheap to do I'd do some research on Honda or vintage race forums to see if it's needed. Some bikes are fine without it, others really need it.

If you do decide to do it, these are the guys I've used in the past:

Last edited by RichDesmond; 07-29-2020, 08:49 AM.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thanks Rich!
                Currently my experience with shifting the CBR is: no problem with upshifting to 2nd below 7,000 rpm. Above that RPM it demands taking more time and care, but does not pop out if done carefully.
                A lot of the missed shifts I blame on not being familiar with the particular demands of 1980s CBR transmissions, and mostly from moving back and forth between my Suzuki GS, GSXR 5 speeds and the Honda 6 speed transmission.
                I so rarely have to shift down to 1st on the track, it's not relevant.
                I used to find false neutrals quite a bit on my GS1100G the first couple years I owned it. Never happens now, that's skill development, and better boots.
                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-29-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Greg, please explain this detail: undercutting the box.
                  Thanks a bunch for the tips!
                  I've done it myself for many years. Whether it's required is decided by examination of the dogs. Rounded off tips can be built up by welding - TIG of course.
                  It is dependent on how much of a hamfoot the previous owners were....

Worst I've had to sort was a Hayabusa engine from a roadrace sidecar. Bent selector fork rails meant a lot of buildup and grinding work.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                    I've done it myself for many years. Whether it's required is decided by examination of the dogs. Rounded off tips can be built up by welding - TIG of course.
                    It is dependent on how much of a hamfoot the previous owners were....

Worst I've had to sort was a Hayabusa engine from a roadrace sidecar. Bent selector fork rails meant a lot of buildup and grinding work.
                    Greg DIY is very cool, not many new gear cogs available for old bikes.

Comment

Ok, been doing some research for parts sources.
                      Tires: Michelin RS
                      Valves: Vesrah valves shown on ebay
                      Shock: Hagon M61052, spring load adjustable
                      Fork springs: Racetech, 0.90 highest rate available (installed already)
                      Body parts: https://www.airtech-streamlining.com...00F1198790.htm
                      Panel-headlight (CBR F2)
                      Panel-tail section
                      Panel: oil pan:
                      Head gasket: Athena, UK ebay ( purchased already )
                      * Shifter upgrade: ( CBR600, hurricane, jet, carb, tune, tuning, Data by EC997a Eddy Current Dynamometer )
                      * Ignition advance:

Comment

New windshield made from Lexan 1/32 in.

Comment

Hey if I had the gold coin:
                          Keihin FCR 33 carb rack, Only $1400.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            Hey if I had the gold coin:
                            Keihin FCR 33 carb rack, Only $1400.
                            Ooooooh, sexy!!!!
                            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Not so sexy butt, I started shaping the race seat:

Comment

Working...
                              X