Gravity Silver Metallic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravity Silver Metallic

I'm starting the restoration of a 1980 GS850 and I'm going to do the paintwork in Gravity Silver Metallic. It doesn't seem to be a common paint scheme so photos of bikes in this color seem to be rare.

To help me match the paint to a modern equivalent, does anyone have any good photos of a bike with this color scheme? (I borrowed this photo from the Ebay listing where I bought the decals).

Gravity Silver Metallic by Mark Philip, on Flickr

I guess this confirms my suspicion that this wasn't a common paint scheme

Comment

My '80 left the factory in those colours. Probably a Europe / S.Africa / Aus / NZ offering.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Quite common in Europe, on the 850 and 1000.

It's nearly impossible to match a color from a picture.
        Classicmotorcycledecals nicked the picture from a Dutch forum
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yep, the US got all the plain color schemes, the rest of the world got the really good-looking stuff.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Look for postings from Ben2Bracing<br><br>.

I mean
            2BRacing
            He is in SouthAfrica, and has good pics of his 850G and/or 1000G in those color and scheme.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Look for postings from Ben2Bracing<br><br>.

I mean
              2BRacing
              He is in SouthAfrica, and has good pics of his 850G and/or 1000G in those color and scheme.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Such an unusual color for a Suzuki. Even if you get the colors close..chances are no one will ever say.."hey..that color's just not quite right"..because no ones seen it before. A silver/gray that is close would be easy to find if you go to an auto paint store and look at their chip samples. Looks like the stripe decals are the GS1000S blue.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  Such an unusual color for a Suzuki. Even if you get the colors close..chances are no one will ever say.."hey..that color's just not quite right"..because no ones seen it before. A silver/gray that is close would be easy to find if you go to an auto paint store and look at their chip samples. Looks like the stripe decals are the GS1000S blue.
                  Yup, my thoughts exactly!

Comment

Cant remember where I got the below pic and info. But I think its the same colour you are looking for.

Cheers

silver.jpg

1980 GS850 GT
                    I bought this bike new in 1980 to replace my 1970 Honda CB350 K2 twin. It was a quantum leap over the CB350, and, as I was a bit tired of chain oil up the back of my new flared jeans I bought it largely for it's shaft drive. It was Suzuki's first shaft drive bike and they got it right first time. Absolutely typical UJM made to do everything rather well. Engine is as smooth as many 6 cylinder bikes and very flexible. The bike is extremely reliable and engine was still okay at 140, 000 km but for cam chain needing replacement. I reconditioned it barrels up at that time to get it back to zero everything.
                    Features:
                    • 850 cc transverse four cylinder DOHC with two valves per cylinder.
                    • Shaft drive through bevel gears at right rear of engine.
                    • 5 speed gearbox driving through a wet clutch.
                    • Colour is original Gravity Silver metalic.
                    • Wide seat that is very comfortable for the long-haul.
                    GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
                    1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
                    1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ged View Post
                      Cant remember where I got the below pic and info. But I think its the same colour you are looking for.

Cheers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61495[/ATTACH]

1980 GS850 GT
                      I bought this bike new in 1980 to replace my 1970 Honda CB350 K2 twin. It was a quantum leap over the CB350, and, as I was a bit tired of chain oil up the back of my new flared jeans I bought it largely for it's shaft drive. It was Suzuki's first shaft drive bike and they got it right first time. Absolutely typical UJM made to do everything rather well. Engine is as smooth as many 6 cylinder bikes and very flexible. The bike is extremely reliable and engine was still okay at 140, 000 km but for cam chain needing replacement. I reconditioned it barrels up at that time to get it back to zero everything.
                      Features:
                      • 850 cc transverse four cylinder DOHC with two valves per cylinder.
                      • Shaft drive through bevel gears at right rear of engine.
                      • 5 speed gearbox driving through a wet clutch.
                      • Colour is original Gravity Silver metalic.
                      • Wide seat that is very comfortable for the long-haul.
                      Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                      X