Chain Slap Nosie 82 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Slap Nosie 82 GS750E

My 82 GS750E has been out of service for a while I searched for over heating and electrical demons. The time away from daily riding has made me aware of other things that I didn't notice before. Now that I have the bike back on the road I noticed a crackling noise from the engine to rear of the bike. While servicing the chain I discovered the source of the Nosie and it was the chain slapping again the chain cover. I tried two covers, both stock units and received the same result. With some finesse (twisting & bending) I was able to get most of to stop. Today I went for a ride and at times it was quite down there but towards the end of the ride some of the commotion had returned. The chain is a stock replacement 630 with less than 5k on it. Has this happened to others and if so what is the solution short of removing the chain guard?
    1982 Suzuki GS750E
    1979 Suzuki GS750E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
    1977 HD CR1000
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400
    1974 Honda CB750

When I bought my '82 11E seven years ago, chain made a distinct slapping noise under certain conditions (off throttle after acceleration?). It seems my situation was something else, as my 630 was excessively loose and slapping against the upper swing arm near the front sprocket.

Adjusters were at their max, so chain needed replacement. Which is just what I did (right after it snapped a couple of miles from home). After more than two decades off two wheels, it was a labor (read LABOR) of love for this then 57-year-old to push all 567 lbs home up two hills.

You didn't explicitly say so, but may we assume your chain is adjusted properly? Sounds like you suspect chain guard(s) not straight and true. Of course it's easy enough to take a test ride sans chain guard (or even live without one).
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Suzie View Post
      The chain is a stock replacement 630 with less than 5k on it. Has this happened to others and if so what is the solution short of removing the chain guard?
      You do not mention the sprockets replaced.
      5K is more than enough for a new chain to wear to the state of old worn sprockets ?
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yeah, what Rob said. Make sure your chain slack is adjusted properly per the manual. If you don’t have one, download one from BikCliff’s website. The image below is from your manual. Some states (PA and I’m sure some others) require a chain guard for inspection.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

I like that oval rear sprocket. So that's how an automatic chain tensioner works!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Yes in my haste to write the message I forgot to say the chain was adjusted properly..
            1982 Suzuki GS750E
            1979 Suzuki GS750E
            1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
            1977 HD CR1000
            1977 Kawasaki KZ400
            1974 Honda CB750

Comment

Check your chain for a tight spot, rotate the wheel while inspecting the chain. Even new ones will have a slight loose and tight spot though a wore chain it will be more pronounced.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
              X